clean up drive, completely

ZEROTOLERANCE 21:15 25 May 04

im having problems with my lap top and want to reinstal win2000 the prob is iv done this a few times before and all the past files folders etc are all still in the HD, in the past this has been a life saver but now there becomoing a pain.

my question is when i reinstal this time is there a way of completely cleaning EVERYTHING of the C\ drive as if it was a new computer?

Dan the Confused 21:29 25 May 04

As long as you are sure there is nothing you want to save or backup beforehand, then the easiest way to clean the C drive is to boot up from floppy and use the FORMAT C: command. Then install Windows2000.

Dan the Confused 21:42 25 May 04

(Make sure you have the FORMAT command on floppy first!)

GANDALF <|:-)> 21:43 25 May 04

Format C:, works everytime.

G

woodchip 21:52 25 May 04

Don't forget you will need all drivers for hardware

ZEROTOLERANCE 22:00 25 May 04

easiest way to clean the C drive is to boot up from floppy and use the FORMAT C: command.

(Make sure you have the FORMAT command on floppy first!)

Format C:, works everytime

sorry people im i a bit new to this,
A) where do i get the boot floppy from? B) what and where is the FORMAT C: command And C) where or how do i get FORMAT Command on floppy?

sorry to sound dim!!

woodchip 22:06 25 May 04

Boot disc's from hear click here looks like you have to download 6 files for 2K

woodchip 22:07 25 May 04

Forgot to ask How old the Comp do you have a Restore CD

ZEROTOLERANCE 22:38 25 May 04

not sure how old, i bought it second hand, its a Dell Latitude and i think its about 3-4 yrs

ZEROTOLERANCE 22:49 25 May 04

and sorry no i dont have a restore CD, and the disc drive unfortunatly is CD only and it doesnt have a floppy,

do i foresee problems???

Smegs 23:06 25 May 04

Start the laptop in DOS. At the Prompt Type Format C: /s. It should look like this, C:\format c: /s . Do you have a Win2000 disk?? What about the drivers? If you do not have drivers, make a note of them before you format. That way you can look for the drivers on the net to download.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…