Clean custom install Vista NOT CLEAN Help !!

mooly 12:46 14 Jun 09

If I run Vista as a custom install from the DVD why when I look in either "computer" or C:\ do I find 3 folders, one for a device manager for a Philps MP3 Player I have and 2 folders of files and data etc for a PIC Programmer I used in the previous install of the OS. Why have these 3 been carried foward ??? Also patches and Acer set up wizard stuff also from previous install.

chub_tor 13:33 14 Jun 09

I'm wondering if their is a difference between a custom installation and a clean installation. I have seen a number of programmes that offer custom installation meaning that you can elect to install or not various features of the programme and later on you can go back into the custom installation and add or remove features that you require. Personally I would have thought that any clean installation would require the disk or partition to be formatted first thus removing all traces of the previous installation and then installing the programme on the newly formatted drive.

Microsoft does seem to be ambiguous on this point click here and they seem to imply that custom and clean are one and the same thing.

canarieslover 13:40 14 Jun 09

Unless you are installing from a recovery disk rather than a genuine Vista disk the programs should not be carried forward into your new installation. I can only suggest that you should at some point, either during installation or prior to starting it, formatted the disk. This would have removed all data on the disk and would have given you a clean installation. Try a format first and then re-install.

mooly 13:48 14 Jun 09

Genuine Vista disc. It's very strange. Just read Chub_tor link, custom should be clean.
Afraid of formatting in case I couldn't start the DVD install. Can you format ? the partition that has the OS from within windows.

Eric10 14:48 14 Jun 09

"Can you format ? the partition that has the OS from within windows."

No, but you can format during the installation which is after the DVD install has started.

mooly 14:56 14 Jun 09

Thanks Eric10. Do you mean using the Vista DVD tools ?

Eric10 15:19 14 Jun 09

I've only ever done 1 install of Vista so my memory is a bit vague but I think it's the same as with XP. You reach a page during the installation process where you are given the option to format the partition you are installing onto. The installation continues automatically once the format has completed.

mooly 15:33 14 Jun 09

Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…