Class not registered (0x80040154) error on backup

D Bird 14:34 11 Oct 10

I've added a new HP Simplesave harddrive to backup my PC (running on Vista). Our Freeagent drive previously backed up automatically but this one doesn't. I've just gone in to ask it to save and it can see the HP harddrive but when I choose to save it comes up with the 'Class Not Registered (0x80040154)" error and doesn't back up. Can someone please help?
Thanks, D Bird

gengiscant 14:40 11 Oct 10

Might be something here. click here='Class+Not+Registered+(0x80040154)%22+error&rlz=1I7GGLD_en-GB&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&redir_esc=&ei=XxOzTK7jAsvLswbV2NmvDQ

gengiscant 14:41 11 Oct 10

try this click here='Class+Not+Registered+(0x80040154)%22+error&rlz=1I7GGLD_en-GB&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&redir_esc=&ei=XxOzTK7jAsvLswbV2NmvDQ

gengiscant 14:42 11 Oct 10

Both not working Hmmm

copy and paste into google,'Class not registered (0x80040154) error'.

D Bird 14:50 11 Oct 10

Thanks gengiscant, I did try that but couldn't find anything helpful.

D Bird 09:21 16 Oct 10

Thanks l24. I'm hoping that since reinstalling the backup drive this has possibly been resolved although it took about 17 hours to back up! The Freeagent definitely didn't used to take that long. Anyway, thanks very much. D

robin_x 09:55 16 Oct 10

I got a problem on my PC recently not making backups. It's not my main machine but I still 'image' it regularly.

Images take 30-60 mins. 17 hours is over the top unless a very old machine.

Note that an Image is different from a Backup but the terms get confused.

Recommended for me (Reading Sector Failure) is run (as administrator) a cmd.exe (DOS) box.

Type chkdsk c: /r

You will be prompted that it will be scheduled on next reboot.

Type y and reboot.

A defrag may also be useful. Use Auslogics or Defraggler.

You have a choice of backup/image tools.

Seagate DiscWizard (a cut down Acronis), Easeus Todo Backup, Paragon Backup and Recovery Free or Macrium Reflect Free.

All available on cnet.com/windows/

Make a boot cd with whatever method you choose.

And/or use Vista built in software.

click here

I use W7 and one of the free ones.
May have to revise my strategy or buy a new external HDD though.

D Bird 14:56 18 Oct 10

Hi, thanks for responding. It's not particularly old (2007). If it does this again, I'll give this a go.

Thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

New iOS 11 release date rumours UK | new features coming to Siri, FaceTime, Messages and Video