Clarification of Graphics Cards

Heefie 14:24 14 Feb 08

I have an ASUS A8V Deluxe Motherboard and have an NVIDIA GX 4200 AGP Graphics card (or something like that !!!) ... I did have a Gigabyte GeForce 7600 AGP but I had to return it as it failed, so I put this old card back in it.

I'm now going to upgrade the card again, as I'm going to be installing Vista soon, but I can't find a decent AGP card ... having just done some googling it looks like this M/B can also take PCI and possibly PCI-Express Graphics cards.

Could somebody please confirm for me that that is the case, and tell me, what is the best type of Graphics card ? I thought PCI-Express was like a "lite" card, but something I just read has made me doubt that !!!

Cheers in advance ...

citadel 14:38 14 Feb 08

you need a agp card, there is no pci express slot just pci. pci graphics cards are slow. there is a agp version of the radeon 3850, there is also a 7900gs and 7950 agp plus a x1950pro agp.

Totally-braindead 14:39 14 Feb 08

The A8V Deluxe click here can only take an AGP card. PCI Express is completly different to PCI slots.

PCI Express is what the newest cards are and they are better but since you don't have a PCIE slot theres no point in looking.

Whats your budget and what speed is your processor also do you play games and what rating is your power supply?

The reason I ask about power supply is most of the newest cards need their own power supply as well.

Stuartli 14:57 14 Feb 08

There are comparatively few AGP cards around now. Some on offer at Dabs:

click here

Other online retailers will be likely to have similar cards.

keef66 16:09 14 Feb 08

if you go for a 3850 AGP I think you'll be spending £150 or so, and you might find you need to replace the psu with a more powerful one. Do you want to be spending over £200 on an upgrade?

Also consider T-b's question about the processor; no point in getting an expensive AGP card if it will be bottlenecked by the cpu. You won't be able to transfer the graphics card to a new system as that will be PCI-express.

Heefie 11:41 15 Feb 08

Strange, I made a big reply to this earlier and it never appeared !!! I’ll try again …

I’m not a big gamer, certainly not new or graphic intensive games, so I don’t need the newest & fastest card. My main reason for wanting a decent video card is that I want to watch live, internet-streamed football on the PC. I originally upgraded to a Sapphire Technology Radeon X1600 PRO 256Mb DDR2 AGP DVI TVO but this wouldn’t work on my system (WinXP full up to date). I don’t know if it was a Software of Hardware problem, but when I went back to an old Nvidia card that worked. I therefore swapped the Sapphire card for a Gigabyte GeForce 7600GS 256MB DDR2 AGP8x DVI-I TVO HDTV VGA which worked fine until it just gave up the ghost !!!

That puts me where I am now, wanting to upgrade my card (needing to as the current card is not good enough for Vista, which I’ve already bought, BTW, so don’t anybody bother trying to talk me out of it !!!).

My PSU should be powerful enough, IIRC the Gigabyte card needed a power supply, and my Processor should be plenty good enough, I have an AMD Athlon 64, 1800 MHz (9 x 200) 3000+.

One reason, I think, that I was finding so few AGP cards is that I was restricting myself to Nvidia after my Radeon experience. Could that problem have been caused by a driver conflict, even though I (supposedly) removed all my Nvidia drivers first ? Would the fact that I will be loading a brand new Operating system ensure that this motherboard and a Radeon graphics card can work together ?!?

Again, thanks in advance ...

citadel 12:30 15 Feb 08

I would get the 3850 agp, it is dx10 so it can use all the vista graphical stuff plus it is hd ready. when changing from nvidia to radeon or vice versa you should use a prgramme called driver cleaner [free] to remove alll hidden traces of drivers.
as you are getting a new opperating system the card should work no problem.

Heefie 00:52 16 Feb 08

... can I buy one (3850 agp) ?!?!?

citadel 17:22 16 Feb 08

there is probably a big demand as people have been waiting for dx10 agp for a long time. you may have to pre-order.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…