Chrome gone after Microsoft updates

sajeev 14:08 PM 11 Aug 12

I installed MS windows updates after repeated prompting from my computer. On restarting I found that Chrome which is the browser I regularly use had disappeared entirely. On trying to download and reinstall Chrome via IE I get an error message saying" dfsvc.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close". I am using Windows XP Home and my virus scan is Avira. Please help. Thanks sajeev

lotvic 14:19 PM 11 Aug 12

I've only heard of that happening if you have Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) ClickHere to read about it.

Zak 14:20 PM 11 Aug 12

Please have a look here for a possible solution:

dfsvc.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close.

Zak 14:23 PM 11 Aug 12

Please follow lotvic's link, our posts crossed and he beat me to it and it is the most likely cause.

sajeev 16:09 PM 11 Aug 12

I checked the Add Remove programs and did not find MS Security essentials. Nevertheless, I uninstalled Avira, Installed SE, updated it, ran the scan and again tried to install Chrome from IE but I got the same dfsvc message. Please advice

sajeev 16:33 PM 11 Aug 12

Followed one of the links in the page posted by Zak (file.hippo) and everything is back to normal - so far. Thanks everybody

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Windows 10 release date, price, features UK: Free upgrade available July 29 with 10 years of free…

Why Vodafone’s frequency choice should interest you: The benefits of 800MHz

Digital visionaries discuss Designing the Future

Apple Pay UK launch guide and participating UK banks: HSBC, First Direct finally support Apple Pay