Chrome gone after Microsoft updates

sajeev 11 Aug 12

I installed MS windows updates after repeated prompting from my computer. On restarting I found that Chrome which is the browser I regularly use had disappeared entirely. On trying to download and reinstall Chrome via IE I get an error message saying" dfsvc.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close". I am using Windows XP Home and my virus scan is Avira. Please help. Thanks sajeev

lotvic 11 Aug 12

I've only heard of that happening if you have Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) ClickHere to read about it.

Zak 11 Aug 12

Please have a look here for a possible solution:

dfsvc.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close.

Zak 11 Aug 12

Please follow lotvic's link, our posts crossed and he beat me to it and it is the most likely cause.

sajeev 11 Aug 12

I checked the Add Remove programs and did not find MS Security essentials. Nevertheless, I uninstalled Avira, Installed SE, updated it, ran the scan and again tried to install Chrome from IE but I got the same dfsvc message. Please advice

sajeev 11 Aug 12

Followed one of the links in the page posted by Zak (file.hippo) and everything is back to normal - so far. Thanks everybody

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Windows 10 Home vs Windows 10 Pro comparison: Here are the extra features you get in the Pro version

Why Formula-e needs to go faster

How Instagram spots trends

How to use Apple Music in the UK: Complete guide to Apple Music's features

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message