choosing a wireless cable modem setup???

largeinnit 22:34 16 Apr 06

Hi,

I have NTL broad band at home and would like to setup a home wireless network using 802.11g. I am currently using a cable modem provided by NTL.

I have wireless usb network cards for 802.11g. What I'm not sure about is the wireless cablem modem. Can I buy any wireless cable modem for 802.11g?

Is it just a case of removing the coax cable from the current modem and putting it into the wireless cable modem?

Or, will the wireless modem plug into the existing modem?

I know NTL recommends some kit for £100, but I'm thinking with some info I can do it for half the price.

Thanks in advance

Dan

ade.h 22:58 16 Apr 06

The correct term to look for is a Cable/DSL router. Avoid anything that is described as a modem/router, router with modem, or similar.

click here On this page, for example, the product top left is suitable, while the product top right is not.

mgmcc 00:12 17 Apr 06

*DO NOT* try to disconnect or replace the supplied Cable Modem.

As "ade.h" says, you need a Cable/DSL router that will connect by ethernet cable to the existing modem's ethernet port.

<<< I know NTL recommends some kit for £100 >>>

PC World have an Easter Special offer on at the moment - Linksys WRT54GS Router and USB 802.11g wireless adapter, both with SpeedBooster, for a total of £50.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5