Choosing the right router

sorceror7374 10:44 10 Feb 07

I have an NTL cable broadband connection at the fastest 10mb speed. Would my download speeds suffer on a wireless network through a router? If so, is there a way to have one PC wired directly to the internet for downloading to avoid this while the rest are connected wirelessly? Any recommendations on good routers?

Aargh 11:35 10 Feb 07

Download speeds are only affected by your line & modem. Wireless apeeds only relate to transfer between 'wireless' devices.

Your wireless speed (54mb/108mb etc) is faster than your line speed.

For instance, I have a BB theoretical line speed of upto 8mb and actual speed of about 5.6mb, but I can transfer over my network at speeds upto 54mb.

mgmcc 12:39 10 Feb 07

The only situations in which a wireless connection is likely to affect your 10Mbps broadband speed are:

1) By using a 802.11b Wireless Network Adapter whose speed is only 11Mbps (802.11g at 54Mbps is fine).

2) By connecting a USB Wireless Network Adapter to a USB 1.1 port which only runs at 12Mbps. (USB 2.0 at 480Mbps is fine).

<<< is there a way to have one PC wired directly to the internet for downloading to avoid this while the rest are connected wirelessly?>>>

You can plug any PC directly into one of the router's LAN ports to use a wired ethernet connection (100Mbps) instead of connecting "wirelessly". A wired network will always be faster and more reliable than a wireless one.

<<<Any recommendations on good routers?>>>

I'm with Telewest and, after reading a message in these forums last week, discovered they were offering a *free* Netgear Wireless Router to customers with 4Mbps and 10Mbps connections. Might be worth asking if this is also available to NTL users (same company now). I phoned up and got a free router about three days later!

Otherwise, Linksys WRT54G, D-Link DI-524, Netgear WGR614

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

VFX Oscar nominees 2017: Discover how the visual effects were created

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…