Choosing An Open Source OS

dublincity 16:23 07 Jun 05

I don't know anything about Linux etc. apart from what I've read on the internet. I'm considering buying some Open Source OS on CD's in 'the High Street' rather than attempt a large download.

Has anybody any thoughts on an easy-to-use system for a beginner?

Many Thanks.

ashdav 16:34 07 Jun 05

click here
Recommend suSe 9.2 click here's only a fiver! It seems to have more compatibility with hardware than other distros. When you install any Linux OS make sure all your peripheral equipment (printers,scanners,modem,etc.) are all connected and switched on.The correct drivers will then be detected and installed automatically.

ashdav 16:36 07 Jun 05

should have read suSe 9.2 ftp. I don't know how the second link got there.

TomJerry 16:41 07 Jun 05

Linux distribution costs around £40 to buy

an OEM version of MS Windows XP Home cost around £55

I do not really see the point of buying an open-souce OS.

ashdav 16:56 07 Jun 05

Open source does not necessarily mean free. The link I gave is to save a 3.1G download! And they are guaranteed to work.

Completealias 17:01 07 Jun 05

The major advantage of buying a boxed distribution is the fact that you then get manuals. Which is very handy if you are new to the os

mattyc_92 17:02 07 Jun 05

click here

It is "Xandros Desktop OS 3.0 Free Edition"

ashdav 17:05 07 Jun 05

True. If you purchase a boxed set you are usually entitled to tech support. If you download for free you are on your own which can daunting. Try the link dublincity. I got a copy for a fiver which I think is pretty fair considering someone else did the work of downloading it.

Completealias 17:20 07 Jun 05

The xandros deluxe version got rated editors choice in Personal computer world and was said to be excellent for home use.click here

The deluxe version also has something called crossover office with it that will apparently allow you to use windows applications it is also said to have good multimedia support it costs about £47

The free version is the same as the standard minus a few features and support and does not include the crossover office

TomJerry 17:54 07 Jun 05

XP win 999,999,999 times out of 1,000,000,000.

octal 18:34 07 Jun 05

If you want to try it go for it, don't be put off by negative comments, we all have choices. I use the deluxe version of Xandros. You can buy the boxed version in the UK click here.

Don't forget, if you want to keep Windows it will dual boot.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…