choosing a new psu....safe to increase wattage?

Superstylin 21:43 02 Nov 05

hi, my father in laws psu recently give up the ghost and i've replaced with the same wattage psu (250v)taken from a spare pc i have. he wants a new one and i'm wondering if i should choose something with a few more watts to cope with anything he's likely to throw at it in the future. is this safe to do?

thanks for any help/info

woodchip 21:47 02 Nov 05

Yes the more the merrier, You should not need to go over 600watt It only uses what it needs no matter how big the PSU watts

Superstylin 21:49 02 Nov 05

excellent i think i'll just go for 300 watts, i don't wanna blow the old man's bank account!

Stuartli 21:57 02 Nov 05

Perfectly safe - however quality of watts is more important than the quantity...:-)

Go for a 450 to 500w PSU or even more if a top quality graphics card will be envisaged at some time and make sure it's from a good make such as Enermax.

Some information on what to look for:

click here

sattman 22:54 02 Nov 05

True, it will only use what it needs but a power supply that has spare capacity ie is larger than the minimum required will run a lot cooler.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…