Choosing a new HDD

Sunny-275842 00:12 07 Apr 03

hi, im concidering in buying a new hard drive from 60gb to 80gb. i've seen a Weastern Digital Caviar 80gb with 2Mb buffer 7200rpm. sounds good and recommendable. but had heard that they arent very stable and solid. most of the people i know have gone for seagate Barcudas and havent heard much about them.

im not asking to choosing between them but can someone tell me about them and recommend me a hard drive that i could go for?

thanks

Simon_P 00:22 07 Apr 03

I would go for a Maxtor Drive or an IBM if you have a little extra cash. Very good.

Used Maxtor for many years and never had a problem.

WD drives are ok, never used seagate.

Also consider that there is new technology now or very soon Seral ATA which will have faster read/write performance. 150MBS to start but up to 600MBS so I am lead to belive. Dont know how much these will cost or if older mobo/BIOS will support them, but there should be a PCI card to interface with them.

Im sure that there is someone on here that knows more about it.

sil_ver 00:24 07 Apr 03

Have a look here click here

Sunny-275842 00:33 07 Apr 03

true the new serial ATA, i might be getting a new mobo to soon dunno which one either! but serial ATA be expensive would of thought.

Sunny-275842 00:38 07 Apr 03

oh btw its a 8mb cache not a 2mb one for the WD Spedcial Ed. oops!

MAJ 07:53 07 Apr 03

Don't go for the IBM drives, Spudling, you would be safer storing your data on a notepad using a leaky pen. They're just not reliable, go for Maxtor, Seagate or Western Digital.

james1` 08:21 07 Apr 03

had W/D hard drive for 3years no problems at all

Sunny-275842 12:51 07 Apr 03

cool i might get the WD caviare one with 8mb cachce cus its £90 for 80Gb and also there said to be the fastest drives around then any other ATA drives.

think its worth it, and is it true who ever has it?

Sunny-275842 12:57 07 Apr 03

oh and also, a recommendation on a ASUS board which one would be good? with firewire, nForce2 etc

Simon_P 22:40 07 Apr 03

what CPU will you be going for?

Ii may be worth waiting for a while if you are going to get AMD as they seem to be set to release the next generatoin chip K8 in May or June, all said and done their XP 3000+ is on a par and maybe slitly faster than the P4 3.1 GHZ HT chip.
Consider MSI as mobo, type MSI or ASUS etc reviews into google for more info than you need.
Firewire is good if you need it for video editing etc!
I belive that nForce is onboard graphics, if you have a good 3D card you may not need this? However I am not too clued up on this, maybe someone else will have a better idea on this!

Happy Shopping!

Holographic_man 22:59 07 Apr 03

I just got a Maxtor Diamond Max 9 80GB 7200rpm paid £62 and its a fine bit of kit.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…