Choosing a laptop under £1000

Beba 21:33 29 Aug 04

Please help me! I have max £1k to spend on a new laptop to last me through four years of postgrad study. Unfortunately reading too many which? mags has confused me and I need to know which brands to go for. I'd like to get a laptop which is sturdy and light enough to take back home with me on the train etc, but I'll mainly be using it as a desktop replacement. I'd need it mainly for word processing, MS Office, the Net and playing music, but I'd also like to be able to use number-crunching software like SPSS on it.

My dream spec would be: hardwearing, min 15" screen, 512MB RAM, min 40GB Hard Disk, and with a CD RW, wi-fi, and plenty of USBs etc...and if poss no more than 3kg in weight. Does anyone know which laptops would fit the bill?

Can anyone please explain to me (briefly)the difference between a mobile processor and a normal processor? What would be the best option for me?

I'm also wondering about warranties: is it worth getting an extended warranty? And do some firms offer a better service than others? Being a beginner laptop owner I'm a tad nervous...

I will be so grateful for any help that you could offer me. Thank you x

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…