Choosing a Digital Camera <£175

Rodders 21:13 27 Jul 03

I am considering buying a digital camera and have set myself a budget of around £175. I'm not a keen photgrapher as such, but I want to keep photos of my kids as they grow up. I also want to use it for my work, I'm a driving instructor and I want to take pictures of some road situations. If I can do short video that would be good also. Another use for the camera would be to take photos of my band, so if there are any features of the camera that might make the images cooler then that would be a bonus, such as variable exposure or filters.

At this moment I quite like the sound of the HP PhotoSmart 720. click here

Has anyone got any views on this camera, or suggest alternatives? Should I avoid certain brands, or what memory type is best?

Thanks, Richard

Dark Knight 21:39 27 Jul 03

Look here for some good impartial reviews
click here

I have access to two Fuji Cameras (2600 + 2800Z) both of which take superb quality pictures. My camera is the 2800Z - A little bulky to put in your pocket due to the 6x optical zoom but it does take short movie clips with sound. May be a little outdated now but my point is Fuji cameras are good. Uses smart media which if was buying a camera now would tend away from.

Bought my camera from these people click here
Very impressed with service and delivery. Use there comparisson table click here It may give you more indication as to what features different cameras offer. THe second camera came from Morgan. Not the best for range of produce but if they have what you want they are likely to be cheaper. click here

Have also used an expensive 6 or 7Mpixel camera from Olympus. As of yet the images I have taken are of a lower quality than the Fujis.

TommyRed 21:41 27 Jul 03

Like the sound of that, I've also been looking for a digital camera with optical zoom and 16mb of internal memory for under £200 this seems to fit he bill, especially the amount of megapixels, the most I've seen with the optical zoom and memory is about 2mp. Go for it I will be.
TR
(unless anyone's had a mare with the same camera or supplier)

rickf 23:03 27 Jul 03

Novatech.co.uk have a true 4m pixel for £199 with 3x optical zoom. Looks pretty good.Its a new product which they send me in their weekly post. If I did not have a d. cam. I would go for it.

Tenner 23:16 27 Jul 03

Try the Search engine at the top of the page - enter combinations of 'camera' , 'digital', 'photography' etc in Helproom over say the last month of longer and you should gain access to loads of info via threads, something to read whilst waiting for more specific replies.

Hope it helps

Reggards

Roadgiant 08:44 28 Jul 03

I have just ordered the Fuji 2800Z from this site :- click here for just under £200 including delivery, with an extra free 64mb card, case, and USB card reader.

Rodders 11:33 28 Jul 03

I know that more mega pixels = better resolution images but since I am not an avid photgrapher should I be looking for as much as 3 MP or will 2MP suffice?

Thanks so far for your responses, I'm looking into all the links posted and I especially like the Fuji 2800Z.

Rich

GroupFC 12:28 28 Jul 03

If you can afford to go for 3mps, you never know you may become an avid photographer! Especially when you can see what you can do with a digicam.

I started off (see my thread click here) looking at 2mps cameras in the same budget range as yours but as you will see ended up stretching the budget and got a canon A70 (which is a 3mps camera). All I can say is trying to chose a digital camera is a bit of a minefield, but I am well pleased with what I ended up with!

Good Luck!

anchor 14:19 28 Jul 03

If you possibly can, go for the Canon A70, (as recommended by GroupFC).

Here is the revue from PC pro magazine:

In terms of image quality, the A70 finished near the top of every test. In our indoor shots, auto white balance was excellent and colours were accurate. Neither noise nor compression artefact's were evident when viewed up close, although a slight yellow cast did creep in without flash. The sharp Canon lens captured excellent detail when zooming in on the BT Tower but the A70 really came into its own in our portrait shot - images were exquisitely sharp, accurate and well-exposed.

Our general testing showed that Canon's fantastic evaluative metering virtually always produces perfectly exposed photographs, even in heavily backlit and high-contrast situations. The relatively fast lens and assist lamp meant that the A70 excelled in low-light conditions, enabling smaller apertures (and subsequently greater depth of fields) than any other camera but the HP. When flash was needed, it was rarely overpowering and enhanced outdoor shots when used as fill-in. We hardly needed to use the manual white balance, while the multipoint auto focus - which shows on-screen the point or points on which the camera has focused - was easily the most accurate and one of the fastest on test.

All of this, coupled with a fast start-up time of 3.2 seconds, makes the A70 ideal as a point-and-shoot device, leaving users to worry only about their composition.

Rodders 15:01 28 Jul 03

I have the same problem that GroupFC had - convincing the wife. She already shreiked at the £170 price tag of the HP 720 !

Between the Hp 720 and the Fuji 2800 which should I go for ?

Thanks

Rich

PA28 15:10 28 Jul 03

Personally I'd go for the Fuji - they're good cameras. I'm using an Olympus now and whilst it's smaller, the image quality is suprisingly not as good. Don't base your judgement purely on Mpixels as it's the quality of the lens that's paramount. A 10 Mp camera will only capture the image that the lens provides, and if the lens is below par, then it doesn't matter how many Mpixels you have, you'll still have a below par image.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…