Choosing a compatible Monitor

buckland 19:10 28 Nov 08

After an eye test I have been advised to up-grade my Flat Screen 15" Monitor to a 19". There seem to be many important requirements which are a mystery to me such as Maximum Monitor Resolution,Contrast Ratio, Response Rate, Brightness, Dot Pitch, Analogue or Digital or both iunput, Plug n' Play. etc. Also the question of compatibility with my PC which is a Dell DIM 4500, 2.53Ghz, Intel Pentium 4, 1024 Megabytes Installed Memory, Local Drives NTFS and NVIDIA GeForce4 MX420 (Display Adaptor). My present Monitor is a Dell E151FPp. Would anyone advise on a 19" replacement please which would not upset the PC. I have even seen an (LG) 19" Freeview LCD TV and PC Monitor, HD Ready which sounds tempting at £190 but would it work with my PC. Many thanks. Buckland.

Technotiger 19:30 28 Nov 08

You have not said what OS you are using, but I would say that the 19" LCD jobbie would be fine - I am using a 22" Widescreen LCD TV/Monitor with XP Home (SP3), and it is brilliant!

Woolwell 20:46 28 Nov 08

On one of the systems that I use I have a 19" LCD with a MX420 so there shouldn't be a problem. Just check the connections - you may not have DVI.

buckland 02:31 29 Nov 08

Thanks to Technotiger and Woolwell. I can confirm that I have Win XP Home with Service Pack 3 and should be O.K. but the point about a "Widescreen" sounds interesting. Can I assume it would be compliant with my set up? My minimal Tech knowledge has been rocked by Woolwell's reference to DVI connection problem possibility. If this is a complication regarding the (LCD) TV/PC Monitor which I mentioned then I would dispense with the TV side of it. However I note that this TV/PC Monitor has 2 X HDMI, Scart,Component, VGA and DVI. My PC is probably VGA as I have the NVIDIA GeForce4 MX420 but I see that there is a variety of cable connections and leads with male and female adapters available. This has confused me but could there be a way ahead with a VGA to DVI cable to give me a connection albeit in analogue (the Monitor could then be used as a TV say in another room if required with its HD ability and its built in Freeview (digital) Tuner). Thanks again to both and your patience is appreciated. Regards, Buckland.

Technotiger 08:09 29 Nov 08

DVI is not a problem, - Mine is a Samsung and has SCART, Component, DVI, HDMI and VGA sockets, so my desktop tower is connected via the normal (usually Blue in colour) VGA cable. I have the Nvidia GeForce 6600. At the press of a button on the Remote Control, I can change from PC to DTV and back again - just like that!

If you want to look it up on Google, it is the Samsung SyncMaster 225MD LCD TV/Monitor, DVB HD.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now