Choice of Virus Scanner

kevvyb 23:30 03 Jun 05

Having just reinstalled my OS on reinstalling the version of McAfee VS that I had been using for some time (v7 had been very stable for me) it gave me errors on installation.

Having had lot of problems with previous versions of McAfee and also not quite beleiving that I was still getting updates long after the 1 year renewal period..???? even downloading updates to the engine direct from the website...(is this unusual?) I was minded to ditch it in favour of the free version of AVG whilst I mused on what to do.

Any thoughts on this greatly appreciated. Should I stick with AVG free or go for another? note that AVG has failed quite a few certification tests as have most. ESET NOD32 seems to be the only one that has consistently not let any 'in the wild' viruses through for some time according to the Virus Bulletin.

Border Collie 23:41 03 Jun 05

Try AVAST! AV click here

It is set to auto-update definitions but you will have to set it to auto update programme yourself.

The Spires 23:41 03 Jun 05

I have used Eset NOD32 for over two years, (maybe three) & continue to pay the small yearly licence fee. Worth I think every penny. :-)

DieSse 23:47 03 Jun 05

The latest version on NOD32 is better than ever - certified against Spyware, Adware, etc

It's also far faster and with less system overhead - TWICE as fast scanning than the next best, and up to 24X faster then others.

It'll auto update as frequently as you wish (mine's at the standard 1 hour, for broadband) - and the updates are quick and transparent.

You pay annually - and the fee includes not just virus pattern updates, but any new program versions (none of this 2003, 2004, 2005 version nonsense that you pay for each time).

It's an absolute model of what an AV should be like.

There's a 30 day free trial, so you've got nothing to lose to try it.

kevvyb 13:42 17 Jun 05

Thanks for those responses. Am half way through trail of NOD32 and like it a lot. Particularly like how the different modules are displayed on screen with the correct bit of the help menu popping up when accessed making configuration very slick. As DieSie, and as is claimed, very small footprint, very quick updating, fast at scanning and gives a lot of information (if wanted) on files scanned. Like the hourly update feature.

Definitly a winner. Prefer to any of the VS's I've used before, even AVG free. McAfee and Norton very bloated (and sometimes buggy) in comparison.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…