Choice of small mono laser

Peter Lanky 15:55 03 Mar 11

I am looking to buy a small printer for a student to use in a study bedroom where space is normally limited. I have been looking at the Samsung ML-1665 as a possibility due to its size, but I am aware that it has been on the market for some time now, and also that there appears to be no compatible toner for it with an original costing a minimum of £45. Has anyone got any experience for an alternative printer of this (small) type hopefully with lower running costs?

Members of my family between them have bought 3 Samsung laser printers, and all of them failed within 4-24 months. It has gave me the impression that the Samsung laser printers are not built to last, and has certainly put me off buying any.

Here are some alternatives to consider:

Canon LBP6000 - click here

Hp LasterJet Pro P1102 - click here

Brother HL-2035 - click here

woodchip 16:26 03 Mar 11

Laser Good but not in a small room its going to poison you using it. I have a old Samsung ML-4500 been a good workhorse only had one tone drum in it in about 6 years

woodchip 16:27 03 Mar 11

Laser Good but not in a small room its going to poison you using it. I have a old Samsung ML-4500 been a good workhorse only had one tone drum in it in about 6 years

Just copied Pasted this ozone as a by-product of the copying process. This toxic gas, which has a pungent sweet odor, can irritate the eyes, nose and/or throat. Check with the manufacturer to see if your photocopier or laser printer is equipped with an ozone filter. from click here

Peter Lanky 17:18 03 Mar 11

The HP seems a good option on first glance as I purchased an older model P1005 for my other offspring, and I am assuming this is the same footprint.

I had to chuckle at the Ebuyer page 'Price breaks'. Who on earth would be buying 100+ personal laser printers?

In 20 years of working with laser printers, I've never once heard of anyone being poisoned by one, even the cumbersome things of the early 1990s.

Woolwell 17:33 03 Mar 11

I think that this is a balanced view on lasers click here

When I pasted those links I was thinking exactly that! And if I was buying over a thousand of things, I'd expect more than a £2 discount per unit!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…