choice of motherboards/pc build

nrobbo 20:59 31 Oct 04

HELLO,THE NAME IS NEIL AND IVE HAD A PC NOW FOR NEARLY 3 YRS NOW,ALSO IM A REGULAR READER OF PCADVISOR,S MONTHY MAG AND LOOK FORWARD TO IT EACH TIME,LOVE THE FEATURES AND WORKSHOPS ETC.....GOOD STUFF AND THANKYOU TO THE STAFF (IF ANY READ THIS). AFTER READING THE MAGS ETC AND SEEING THE PRODUCTS THAT ARE AVAILABLE OF THE SHELF SO TO SPEAK,IVE ALWAYS WANTED TO HAVE A GO AND MAKE A MACHINE FROM SCRATCH....AND NOW IM FINALY GOING TO HAVE A GO AT BUILDING ONE.

I WAS HOPING,THAT WITH A LITTLE HELP FROM PEOPLE IN THE FORUMS SECTIONS OF THE PCADVISOR SITE,THERE IS A COUPLE OF ITEMS THAT I NEED A LITTLE GUIDENCE WITH....THE MOTHERBOARD FOR SURE IS ONE I JUST HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT. THE TOWER I THINK IS POWER CONSUMPTION RELATED AND PERSONAL CHOICE ??.THE DVD BURNER IS A CHOICE OF THE 2 LISTED BELOW,JUST WANT PEOPLES OPINION ON THESE.

WITH PC COMPONENTS SPECIFICATIONS CHANGING AT THE RATE THEY DO....ONE THING THAT I NEED TO INCLUDE IN MY CHOICE OF MOTHERBOARD IS EASE OF UPGRADING BITS (IF I NEED TO)AS TIME GOES ON AND OF COARSE WILL WORK WELL WITH THE LIST BELOW.

TOWER = WHAT DO I NEED TO CONSIDER ??????
MOTHERBOARD = WHAT MAKES DO I NEED TO CONSIDER ??????
PROCESSOR = PENTIUM 4..2GHZ PROBABLY HIGHER
MEMORY = AS MUCH AS POSS PROBABLY/TYPE DEPENDING ON THE M/BOARD
HARD DRIVE = 120G+
SOUND CARD = Creative SB Audigy...OR ONBOARD SOUND (IF 5.1 SOUND ON MOTHER BOARD)
GRAPHICS CARD = LEADTECH WINFAST A380 ULTRA TDH MY VIVO
DVD ROM = YES
DVD BURNER = PLEXTOR PX-712A...OR...SONY DRU-700A ?????
LAN CARD = YES ( BROADBAND)

THANKS FOR TAKING THE TIME TO LOOK AT THIS,JUST LOOKING FOR A BIT OF GUIDANCE,AND LOOK FORWARD TO THE LEARNING PERIOD AH AH AH ........CHEERS........NEIL

BIG Ben strikes 10 again! 21:28 31 Oct 04

im ben,you can usually buy a motherboard set that has the motherboard,memory,and proccessor,so this ensures that you will have full compatibility,once you have your chosen motherboard kit (if so),note down the exact type of ram with the type,speed,your case i would recommend a ATX case these are compatible with smaller and bigger mobo's,read your mobo manual and find out what is compatible,then you can buy DVD-roms,harddisks,ect.search in google 'motherboard kits'.hope this helps,feel free to ask questions.ben

BIG Ben strikes 10 again! 21:32 31 Oct 04

click here and buy from click here and click here and look for MOBO kits click here

woodchip 21:33 31 Oct 04

Can you turn your caps lock off, your post is hard to read on the old eye's

nrobbo 20:07 01 Nov 04

hi ,and thankyou ben for the reply and the links you gave me,im just been looking through them earlier,im sure i,ll be a bit wiser after.

one question does come to mind though,i can understand the reason to get m/board 1st but with the new products that are out now...ie creative soundblaster card (i have this already in another pc and was going to transfre it over),and the dvd drives i was looking at,i thought that these would go in the new mobo without much of a problem.
.........neil

BIG Ben strikes 10 again! 21:43 01 Nov 04

yes yes,sound cards ect will work,i suppose you know what a PCI slot is look for around 4 or more of these,this will let you expand your custom built,when i said about campatibility i meant harddrives,most mobos have support on high capacity,but some have a limit,you are right new products do have a large compatibility range you can look click here and click here these 2 makes are super quality i am very happy with my ASUS A7N8X deluxe in my custom-built,choose wisely.ben

nrobbo 19:07 03 Nov 04

hi ben,thanks for those...1st link didnt work,no problem, i guess it to asus boards etc,the gigabyte looks good...been on intell site and used there help tool to find out mobo/processor match,done that ok....gonna do more investigating on the asus mobo,s and see wots wot with them.
it seems that the new mobos,with the higher spec,now usin the newer processors....a bit of fishing around is gonna b in order i think,one thing is for sure....i learnt a lot more over the last couple o days doin this...lol
thanks again......watch this space...neil

BIG Ben strikes 10 again! 21:10 03 Nov 04

hi neil,looks like i got the asus website wrong click here this is working!,i use AMD athlon proccessors,mainly becouse they are cheaper,but still powerfull,but it is up to you if you wan't intel,its probly wise of you to go on the intel website to find matching websites,you can't go wrong then,here you might find interesting click here and click here well see you later,let me know how things go.cheers.ben

woodchip 21:24 03 Nov 04

For your first time build, I have just fitted this board as a Replacment, As last just stopped working on my win98se computer click here

Onboard sound went together no problems at all. check the Speck and Reviews

woodchip 21:25 03 Nov 04

I fitted a new Athlon XP2.2 Thunderbird cpu to the above

BIG Ben strikes 10 again! 21:28 03 Nov 04

arn't they those humungeous proccessors?.or was that a slotA?.i am unsure

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…