choice of broadband provider

crespo 01:00 29 Jul 06

Hey all! This is Crespo calling.I need some advice from someone out there re the choice of broadband provider. I'm on dial-up with Wanadoo/Orange - i want to upgrade to broadband but don't know whether to stay with Orange or move to Sky or BT or AOL.I quite fancy broadband wireless but DO NOT HAVE A CLUE on how to set the system up - that's why i'm tempted by Sky as someone comes out to set the whole thing up for you. My only reservation is Sky is new to broadband - might be problems with reliability etc.Anyway any advice or personal experience with any of the above ISP's to help me choos will be v. appreciated. Cheers. C.

Well I changed from Tiscali to Virgin when I moved house and haven't had problems with either.

Just a note about Sky, I believe they acquired the ISP Easynet so they aren't starting from scratch as such.

FelixTCat 06:50 29 Jul 06

Have a look at Madasafish: click here

On the front page put in your phone number and then on the next page put in the code "cheaper" (without the "s).

They have excellent customer support which actually monitors and posts on forums at click here

They will also supply you with a half-price adsl wireless modem router.

Regards,

Felix

aca 07:01 29 Jul 06

freedom2surf

excellent

swapper 07:57 29 Jul 06

I have been with BT for a number of years, I have been pretty satisfied, but their help line has been atrocious on the few occassions that I have needed them.
However, I am now changing to Telewest, the reason for this is the feedback that I have been getting about them, and the comparable costs.

wiz-king 09:23 29 Jul 06

Why people in your position don't do some homework!

Find out if you can get broadband where you are and at what speed if using BT lines. (I cant get BB over the phone lines where I live)

Find out if you can get cable where you live.

These are the main two limiting factors, then you can start choosing an ISP. Don't forget if using the telephone route then the line rental can become a factor.

You may need to keep you dial up going if you want to keep your email address active if you change ISP.(you can have both methods on one PC)

If you get BB then your 'anti' protection becomes more important because you will use the Internet more.

Cost is not the main factor - the difference between the ISPs for just a BB connection is only about 25p a week! Not worth worrying about.

'Free' routers are not always free or yours.

The members of this forum are a good source of help but need facts on which to give their advice, if you are using an old Win 3.1 system the advice would be different to if you are using Win XP! (I know thats a bit of an extreme example but it illustrates the point)

johnnyrocker 09:28 29 Jul 06

click here for isp comparitors.

johnny.

corc2 12:01 29 Jul 06

I agree with wiz-king. Decide what your main activity on the internet is going to be. If you are planning to download/upload big files etc then you will need faster connections.

And make sure your computer has plenty of anti-spyware/antivirus protection and a firewall.

I have had Telewest Blueyonder (Cable) for nearly four years and have had very few connection problems. I can't fault both their BB sevice, customer service and technical help.

swapper 23:06 29 Jul 06

wiz-king, perhaps asking for opinions within this Forum is part of crespo's homework.

pac73 00:12 30 Jul 06

Ive had telewest for 8 months now,and i cant fault it.Ive got a 2 mb connection for £14.99 a month.

johnnyrocker 00:14 30 Jul 06

then it should be stated as so.

johnny

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac