Chnaging Hosts file

Simsy 12:26 25 Jun 06

I have another thread running, trying to help a mate; click here

He is sorting things with his isp, but it got me into experimenting... I can't seem to change the hosts file on my (WinXP home), PC. I've tried doing so with browsers closed and no firewall running, but it kees daying, when trying to save that it canned be accessed, (and various other messages depending on the exact method I try).

Do I have to change this in safe mode? If so is that what you'd normally expect?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:29 25 Jun 06

There are several programs that lock the Host file Zone alarm is one Defender another.
This is done to prevent "nasty" programs from redirecting you to unwanter sites.

Simsy 12:34 25 Jun 06

That makes sense...

I only have Zone Alarm and AVG running, but I do have Adaware, spybot and spywareblaster installed. Could they have done something to stop access, even though they are not running?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:51 25 Jun 06

SpywareBlaster is another that lock the file and foes not need to be running.

woodchip 13:04 25 Jun 06

ZoneAlarm and Superspyware create there own Hosts file as far as I can remeber The host file should be changed in Safe mode. Use Notepad or Wordpad to it with

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…