CHMOD - how?

memy 21:48 30 Jan 04

I will be running a form processing script (perl) that I have downloaded within a website. The instructions include changing the chmod for a particular file to 755.

Whilst I now understand what chmod is about, and how the permissions numbering system works, I do not understand HOW I change the chmod for a file on the hosting site.

Is this something I can do myself or must I get the host admin to do it for me?

Thanks for help. M.

PurplePenny 23:04 30 Jan 04

How do you upload your files? I use CuteFTP and if I right click a file CHMOD is one of the options. I'm sure that other FTP software will do it too. I think that I can also do it from my site's control panel.

Forum Editor 23:15 30 Jan 04

to change file permissions from any of the well-known FTP programs like CuteFTP or WSFTP Pro.

Before you can change the permissions you must ascertain that you are the 'owner' of the files in question. The best way to find out is to try it, and if you get a return message from your FTP program saying that permission to change was denied you'll need to ask your host to ensure that you have the correct access permissions on the root of your server directory.

memy 12:21 31 Jan 04

Yes - I use WS_FTP Pro and I was able to use the chmod option from there. Thanks both. M.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…