CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 3) ...errors on laptop hard disk.

Aitchbee 15:21 PM 03 Mar 13

Checking file system on C: The type of the file system is NTFS. Volume label is Acer.

A disk check has been scheduled. Windows will now check the disk.

CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 3) ... File record segment 28112 is unreadable.

File record segment 28113 is unreadable.

File record segment 28114 is unreadable.

File record segment 28115 is unreadable.

............... and so on...

2 percent complete. (28129 of 96256 file records processed)

My question is:-

Should I replace the hard disk?

I've tried to fix the problem ... but getting nowhere fast!

Thanks in advance.

[It's an ACER ASPIRE 5742z, 320GB western Digital HDD, windows 64-bit, 2 years old]

PS I have bought a replacement 500GB HDD and have got BACKUPs to restore to it if i DO have to replace the original HD, but don't have a Windows 7 DVD.

wiz-king 15:24 PM 03 Mar 13

If it automatically goes to the disc scan more than once a week then yes.

Aitchbee 15:31 PM 03 Mar 13

wiz-king - I was heading down that road, but i'll wait a wee while, to see what other folk have to say.

Aitchbee 15:32 PM 03 Mar 13

Ok - Jock1e.

Aitchbee 15:55 PM 03 Mar 13

Jock1e - I'll be able to download that ISO from my sister's house as she has got fast broadband if the backups don't work [hopefully they will ... i'm using Ocster Backup Pro, which seems to work well on other computers].

PS. My sister took it back to Argos and they 'hit' her with a bill for £115 to repair the laptop [ie to replace the HD].

I hope I can fixit for a lot less :o]

Aitchbee 15:57 PM 03 Mar 13

How do I save the 'factory settings'?

caccy 16:03 PM 03 Mar 13

Just had the same problem with a SSD. Ended up formating it, after retrieving and saving all my profiles, and then using my Acronis to clone it using my backup clone.Will be interested to see if the problem reoccurs.

Aitchbee 16:18 PM 03 Mar 13

Some more info on the ACER laptop's faulty HD:-

The faulty 320GB HDD, has a 'recovery parition' of about 20gb ... which I have succesfully used to restore the laptop to 'factory settings' on two occasions; but HD errors occur, and laptop goes 'belly-up' after a few reboots.

Can this 'recovery partition' be salvaged / transferred to the new 500gb HD?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:20 PM 03 Mar 13

Can this 'recovery partition' be salvaged / transferred to the new 500gb HD?

Yes if you put the HDD in a caddy and / or connect direct to another machine you can make an image of that partition and place then mount it of your new drive.

Aitchbee 17:49 PM 03 Mar 13

Thanks FruitBat - that's comforting to know and will look into that; i've got laplink Disk Image Pro and Easeus Partition Manager to help out with that procedure [which were both free givaways about 3 months ago - highlighted on this forum] ... btw, CHKDSK has been runnin' for over an hour on faulty laptop ... zzzzzzz .....3 percent complete ... it could be a long night!

PS - I also purchased a new caddy along with the new SATA 500GB HD ... it's a very neat caddy device!

Aitchbee 19:14 PM 03 Mar 13

Jock1e - when the CHKDSK program stops, I'll physically take out 'n' install it in the caddy and have a look; then, try to tranfer, save or mount any recoverable partitions to some good spare HD's that i have kept just especially for 'little setbacks' like wot this is.

I now have a better idea what courses to follow ... but it'll have to wait 'til tomoro; thanks everbody; will let you know later if things go [to plan].

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Black Friday deals 2015 live blog: Best UK Black Friday weekend deals & best UK Cyber Monday…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The best Black Friday Deals for designers and artists – updated

20 Mac Power User Tricks... That You Didn't Know