Chkdsk runs then reboots pc - Cant get in!

jonnyboy68 11:05 25 Sep 07

Hi

For the last few days when i start the pc up it runs chkdsk, then opens up Windows and you get the user logon. However the display is awful, then it restarts automatically and continues this cycle. I cant get in, can anyone help?

Im using Xp home on an Acer Aspire pc 1800 celeron 256 mb.

Many thanks

Taff™ 11:15 25 Sep 07

Try Safe Mode by tapping F8 key during boot up.

jonnyboy68 11:19 25 Sep 07

No go. When you go into safe mode. It scrolls down the command lines and then locks.

jonnyboy68 12:27 25 Sep 07

Could this be faulty hard disk or graphics problem?

Seth Haniel 13:07 25 Sep 07

sounds like symptoms of a stuck key !!!

jonnyboy68 14:20 25 Sep 07

Stuck key? I cant see how it can be?
How would this explain the chkdsk running everytime and the display problems?

Taff™ 18:06 25 Sep 07

jonnyboy68 - I agree with you!

Give us some details of your system and OS (Operating system: Vista or XP)

jonnyboy68 07:11 26 Sep 07

Its running Xp home, its an Acer aspire 1800 celeron. 256 mb . Any other details you need at all?

Curio 19:34 26 Sep 07

Try this it may help

Do you mean that each time you boot normally, it performs a check on your "C" drive before booting or does it never get to the stage of booting fully?

If it is checking first and then booting, what you're experiencing is what Windows refers to as "setting the dirty bit" and you have to unset that bit. Each time Windows XP starts, autochk.exe is called by the kernel to scan all volumes and check if the volume dirty bit is set. If the dirty bit is set, autochk performs an immediate chkdsk /f on that volume. Chkdsk /f verifies file system integrity and attempts to fix any problems with the volume. It is usually caused by a hard shut down or a power loss during a read-write operation on that particular drive.

Open a Command Prompt window ("Start > Run" type CMD and click OK). At the prompt, type FSUTIL DIRTY QUERY C: and press Enter. This queries the drive, and more than likely it will tell you that it is dirty. Next, type CHKNTFS /X C: The X tells Windows NOT to check that particular drive on the next reboot. At this time, manually reboot your computer, it should not do a Chkdsk and take you directly to Windows.

Once Windows has loaded, open a Command Prompt window again and perform a Chkdsk manually by typing CHKDSK /F /R C: This should take you through 5 stages of the scan and will unset that dirty bit. Finally, type FSUTIL DIRTY QUERY C: and Windows should confirm that the dirty bit is not set on that drive.

jonnyboy68 07:24 27 Sep 07

Thanks for that Curio, that may come in handy later.
Its not quite so much the chkdsk running its the fact that you cannot get into the system at all.

Last night i found an old drive that i had, started machine and ran a restore on it as had no o/s in order oto get machine up and running. Then installed my main drive as a slave so i could access it.

Is there anyway i could restore the files from my old disk, now drive F, so i can sort the problem out then swap disks over again?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5