Chkdsk runs at start up on external hard drive

AlanHo 18:17 06 Sep 09

I have a new Western Digital 1 TB SATA hard drive in an external enclosure connected to the PC by eSATA from the socket on the mobo. The drive is used for storing daily and weekly back-ups.

The computer is dual boot Vista Ultimate and Windows 7.

I use Second Copy to back up at computer shut-down all data files that have changed since the last back up onto the external hard drive.

With increasing regularity the computer is running check disk at boot up on just this new external drive. If I open the log for Second Copy I find that the back-up was not completed on the new 1 TB drive when the computer was shut down the previous evening. The log shows that a file on that drive was corrupted. It is not always the same file - or one that was backed-up recently. I assume that Second Copy scans the hard drive with the data on it and then scans the external drive to determine which files have been changed and then backs them up accordingly. I assume it finds the so called corrupt file during this scan.

Boot time check disk is only happening on the new drive and occurs with both Vista and Windows 7 on roughly 50% of boot ups. The screen display for check disc has never shown any errors found.

I have run the Western Digital diagnostic program - it took nearly 4 hours to carry out a thorough check of all sectors and reported that the drive had passed the test.

Anyone have a clue what might be happening

rawprawn 18:27 06 Sep 09

Try this on you external drive click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5