chkdsk running slowly

badgermansix 22:50 08 Jun 08

I have used "cmd /k chkdsk c: /f" and "sfc /scannow" quite a lot of the past few years, but now I notice that chkdsk is running particularly slowly now on restart.
Part 1 of 3 runs o.k.
Part two will take up to 10 mins to start and completes very slowly, and part 3 just a few minutes once it starts running.

I found this out when I was installing Acronis 11 after uninstalling Acronis TI 8.0, and using Eusing free Registry Cleaner.

Acronis 11 told me that it could not complete the Acronis partition because of bad blocs.

After running chkdsk, the screen closes so quickly on the results that I do not have time to see if there is a problem with the disk.

Any ideas please?

tia

woodchip 22:55 08 Jun 08

id you tell it to auto fix

badgermansix 23:04 08 Jun 08

woodchip, ceh? :-)

woodchip 23:08 08 Jun 08

Then it should have worked, It will or should mark out bad blocks but the drive may be on its way out

badgermansix 23:13 08 Jun 08

sorry woodchip, I was being silly, I do not know about the autofix option.

woodchip 23:16 08 Jun 08

If you double click My Computer then right click on C:\drive Properties\tools its their and there is a box to tick for auto fix

woodchip 23:17 08 Jun 08

It will run after you restart windows

badgermansix 17:37 09 Jun 08

Thanks woodchip, I found and ran that, it took nearly 10 mins to run through completely, I have 120gb C drive, does that seem a long time.

At the results page which appears for about 1 second, I think I saw "4kbs bad blocks" would you know if I can find this log anwhere on the
system, to view mor easily, and 4kbs of bad blocks? got any ideas about that please.

wee eddie 17:42 09 Jun 08

1,2 & 3 are swift and should be done in a few minutes. 4 & 5 can take hours, depending on the size of your drive.

hiwatt 17:47 09 Jun 08

If it's xp you should be able to see the results of chkdsk by opening the Control Panel, double click on "Adminstrative Tools", double click on the "Event Viewer" icon, then click on "Application". In the "Source" column, look for the "Winlogon" item. Double click it and you should see the results of your Chkdsk.

badgermansix 07:43 10 Jun 08

wee eddie, hiwatt, thank you for that info, I did find iit in event viewer, and it does show 4kb in bad sectors, is this o.k. would you think?

I am particularly worried as woodchip said "Then it should have worked (cmd /k chkdsk c: /f"), It will or should mark out bad blocks but the drive may be on its way out"

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…