chkdsk /r

hiwatt 10:40 22 Mar 08

Hi folks,does the chkdsk /r or /f command perform the same as going into my computer/tools/error check?.Does it carry out the exact same repair to the hard disc?Thanks.

Willfixit 12:51 22 Mar 08

Hi not sure what it is you are trying to do but if you run chkdsk /f/r c: replace c: for the drive you wish to check.

the checkdsk will run the next time you start windows.

this will take you through 5 stages of the chkdsk utility atempting to repair your disk

chkdsk /f verifies the file system integrity and attemps to fix any problems with the volume

sunny staines 12:59 22 Mar 08

hiwat

I always stick to going via my computer - tools and putting two ticks in the fix box.

then after chkdsk and pc is back in windows goto event viewer - winlogon to check the results.

i do not see any need for home users to use the command options for this function.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:41 22 Mar 08

I believe that disk check does not check the whole drive when run from within windows.

Therefore it is better to run Chkdsk from an inital dos prompt.

I.E. reboot the PC to a command prompt (F8 at boot) and then run chkdsk.

hiwatt 13:44 22 Mar 08

I had a problem the other night with superantispyware.The computer crashed and for a while it wouldn't boot saying there was no hardrive detected.After a while it started again but now when I'm booting the computer it makes a loud click noise(coming from the drive)the same as it did before it crashed.I was wanting to do do a chkdsk repair as I'm told it could repair a fault?I've tried it via my computer with both fix boxes ticked but it's still doing it.I'm worried incase it's on it's way out.

johndrew 13:56 22 Mar 08

CHKDSK /F looks for and repairs file errors.

CHKDSK /R looks for and repairs bad sectors on the disk.

CHKDSK /X prevents the CHKDSK.EXE running at the next boot.

So if you check both boxes in `my Computer/Tools/Error Check` you will get both /F and /R.
If you check only `Automatically fix file system errors` you will get /F.
If you check only `Scan and attempt recovery of bad sectors` you will get /R.

johndrew 13:59 22 Mar 08

A loud clicking from the drive is not good. I suggest you backup all important data and consider buying a replacement.

Depending on the make of your drive there are tools at the manufacturers sites to diagnose faulty drives. It is worth doing this AFTER backing up.

Willfixit 14:02 22 Mar 08

Fruit Bat /\0/\

is correct as far as I am aware chkdsk wont do a full check from within windows but if you run a CMD promt and type in chkdsk /f/r c: replace c: for the drive you wish to check.

it will automatically complete a full chkdsk when the computer is re-started.

If you are getting loud clicking noises from your hard drive I would back up all my important data to be on the safe side

hiwatt 15:44 22 Mar 08

I've backed up all my data to dvd's the only thing is I've no means of backing up my OS.It makes one loud click each time I start the computer up.It used to do the exact same thing over a year ago then stopped.It done it again during the scan when it crashed now it does it every time it boots?Strange.

brundle 15:48 22 Mar 08

Run manufacturer's diagnostics, more thorough than ChkDsk;
click here
click here

johndrew 16:23 22 Mar 08

Are you sure it`s not a fan sticking? They can sometimes stick and make a click as they start up.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac