CHKDSK - problem resolved (hopefully)

johndrew 20:27 20 Apr 07

A while ago I was having problems with a drive that was less than a year old but kept running CHKDSK on a regular basis and showed as having the dirty bit set when interrogated click here

I have persevered with the drive attempting to understand what was actually causing the trouble I believe I now know and post this for the techies to tear apart or substantiate.

When I bought this PC it came with two drives of the same specification. When one failed it was replaced with a lower specification drive (the
original drives had a 16MB buffer but the replacement has an 8MB buffer otherwise the same speed and capacity). I used the advice from PCA to put my virtual memory on the second drive to help keep speeds up. This was fine when both drives were the same but with a change in the drive the problems started. I have now put the virtual memory on the second drive to zero and all seems peaceful - no more dirty bit messages and chkdsk is quiet.

If I am correct and the cause was the PC shutting down prior to the completion of paging files being written on this drive, hopefully it will help someone else in the future.

johndrew 14:18 21 Apr 07

Any comments?

johndrew 20:11 22 Apr 07

Thanks for your comments!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…