CHKDSK problem

hssutton 09:09 AM 22 Apr 11
Answered

A friends computer running W7 CHKDSK does not work, on start up she gets the message that her drive may be faulty and allow CHKDSK to run, unfortunately nothing happens. Allowing the computer to bypass checkdisk pc works ok.

A sheduled CHKDSK or system restore will not work.

Any suggestions please.

johndrew 10:02 AM 22 Apr 11

Normally I would suggest sfc/ scannow or a repair but this sounds a bit different.

I did find these: link text link text and the 'Error repair Tool' in the second sounds a simple fix if it works.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:12 AM 22 Apr 11

what happens when you do chkdsk /r and when asked to run this at the next restart, type y, and press Enter.

Or

try Press F8 during fist staring and run chckdsk /r from the command prompt option.

birdface 10:14 AM 22 Apr 11

Do the usual.my computer.right click C Drive and them click on properties. Then tools and check now.Tick both boxes and reboot to start chkdsk. If you have tried that and it still does not work check out your graphics card driver to see if it needs updating. If you have checked device manager and no yellow exclamation marks I would still look for graphics driver update whether card or chipset. Also check the resolution has not changed.

hssutton 10:23 AM 22 Apr 11

Thanks for the feedback.

John Andrew, have downloaded the repair tool, but it will be Sunday before I visit my friends again.

Fruit Bat, Can't quite remember the sequence on selecting yes, but the chkdsk does not work and a message comes up saying to run system repair. System repair will not work with the message run check disk. Will try F8 on Monday.

The PC works ok on selecting no to check disk

Terry Brown 10:52 AM 22 Apr 11

It sounds as if she may have a faulty Harddrive, on her system, If the machine is still under guarrantee, it may be worth going back to the retailer and having a word with them, however try this link first. http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprogeneral/thread/a7d5c759-c8c6-49cc-80af-589e28f13a65/

Terry

birdface 11:41 AM 22 Apr 11

What drive is it trying to check.C.D.E or other. I know it is normally C But on my computer it has 5 or 6 I believe.

hssutton 12:15 PM 22 Apr 11

buteman Only one hard drive, so yes it's the C drive.

It will be Monday before I can get over to my friends house and try out the various suggestions. Will report back probably Tuesday morning.

Many thanks for all the suggestions.

hssutton 12:59 PM 25 Apr 11
Answer

*Fruit Bat /\0/* Press F8 during fist staring and run chckdsk /r from the command prompt option.

Many thanks the above method worked.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get free stuff for Android: Amazon Underground offers genuinely free Android apps and free…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

MIT builds an awesome 3D printer that can use 10 materials at once

What to expect at the September Apple event: Apple announces 9 September event, sends out invites