CHKDSK problem

muddypaws 20:01 15 Jan 07

Win. XP Home SP2.
For the last couple of days when I boot up the PC tries to do a CHKDSK when the first windows screen comes up. The blue screen only lasts for a second then the PC reboots and goes through the same sequence for ever unless I hit the space bar within that second. It then boots and operates as per normal. It started when I had a warning that 'C:\WINDOWS\Fonts\Felixti.TTF was corrupt and unreadable. Please run the CHKDSK facility'. And of course it wouldn't run.
This evening I started in safe mode and ran the check successfully and only one minor file was corrected. Can't remember which. Since then I have re-booted and it still goes through the same procedure unless I hit a key.
I have scanned the 'Fonts' folder with several programmes and nothing found.
I am nolonger getting any warning in the tray re corrupt files etc.
I have re booted from G ( a Norton Ghost back up) with no problem.
Any advice please. Thanks.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:17 15 Jan 07

Check Disk Prevent Upon Boot (Line 294)
click here
Disable Autochk
click here

muddypaws 20:40 15 Jan 07

Fruit Bat.
Thanks for your reply, but being only just a bit above novice level I am a bit wary of fiddling with the registry. No other less hazardous ( for me) solution I suppose?

muddypaws 09:16 16 Jan 07

Fruit Bat.
Did another chkdsk last night and this morning it booted normally.
I will leave thread open until tomorrow and if OK will resolve it.
Thanks. Will keep your suggestions on file.

wotbus@ 09:51 16 Jan 07

Try running a basic system file check:
Open My Computer > right click your drive (probably C) > select Properties > Tools > Error checking > Check now. Tick the top box > Start, and then follow instructions and leave it until it is finished.
If that cures nothing, try running a full system file check but you may be asked for your installation CD:
Start > Run. Type "SFC /SCANNOW" exactly as written without the quotes [note the space between sfc and /] then click OK. Follow instructions.
To anyone else following this thread, I have observed from experience, sometimes Windows won't accept lower case and sometimes won't accept upper case (capitals or small letters), so if one doesn't work try the other ;-)

muddypaws 10:47 16 Jan 07

Thanks wotbus@. Keep yours in mind too.
Have done two restarts today--both OK.
Done today's Ghost backup to my external and booted OK from there. And then C booted OK.
As I said--will leave thread open till tomorrow.
Cheers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…