ChkDsk on Partitioned Drive

David4637 15:53 03 Jun 09

Do I need to run the above on the C:Drive (OS) and the D; drive (data) as well? Thanks David

johndrew 16:41 03 Jun 09

Why are you running CHKDSK, do you have a problem with the drive?

Unless there is a need - such as you doubt the integrity of the HDD there is no need to use CHKDSK. In the event you do need to run it then you will need to run it on all partitions on a given drive to check the whole surface click here

David4637 19:28 04 Jun 09

I usually run it once per 6 months to ensure the HD (C: & D:) are OK. I gleaned from PCA it was a good thing to run, as it would clear any file corruptions etc. Perhaps its not necessary?
Thanks for your reply
David

johndrew 10:28 05 Jun 09

It will repair damage, but if there is any it is likely to run automatically on start-up of the PC. The safest option is to make a backup of your data on a regular basis to allow a new HDD to be written in the event of failure. You should keep your backup updated - say monthly - on a separate (preferably external) HDD.

David4637 12:41 05 Jun 09

I do backup using ACRONIS to an external HD, I just thought that running CHKDSK would resolve any issues before any problem(s) became significant. Thanks David

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…