chkdsk in ms-dos 6.22

phil-smith.tk 19:59 15 Aug 05

ok... its a long time since i've used ms-dos

and now i need to use my ms-dos 6.22 floppy to run chkdsk /f to repair the HDD after screwing up merging two partitions

now i can't boot from the hdd but all the data is still there and fine

after a error 1516 from booting from the partition magic 8.1 recovery disks i made i whent to partition magic's site to find this problem can be fixed by running chkdsk /f from command prompt in windows but i can't boot from hdd thus no windows

i know you can run chkdsk /f via a ms-dos boot disk but how to i run chkdsk /f to fix the hdd?

stalion 20:02 15 Aug 05

operating system please

phil-smith.tk 20:03 15 Aug 05

win xp home

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:09 15 Aug 05

Your drive is probably formatted in NTFS format and ms-dos cannot see this and will not run chk disk.

Boot form the Home CD and run chk disk from recovery consul

Using Recovery Consul
click here
or
click here

phil-smith.tk 20:13 15 Aug 05

i don't have a xp home CD the PC is a manufactured PC and came with recovery CDs which use norton ghost which will just format and restore the PCs software but i need to recover the data first

is there anyway of running chkdsk from a floppy that will read the file system NTFS?

phil-smith.tk 20:19 15 Aug 05

i have just had a thought...

i can use the partition magic disks to convert the hdd to fat32 then ms-dos will be able to read and fix the HDD then once fixed i can boot from the HDD then convert it back to NTFS... but partition magic may give error 1516 again i refuse to convert the HDD but if it allows what is the command to run chkdsk /f to fix the HDD (as far as i'm aware its [chkdsk /f c:\])

phil-smith.tk 20:35 15 Aug 05

ok, partition magic won't let me convert the HDD to fat32 due to the 1516 error :( now i'm stuck

phil-smith.tk 21:08 15 Aug 05

i might have resolved my own issue (typical of me)
NTFS4DOS from:
click here

i'm trying that if it works i'll post about it and maybe it will help others :)

phil-smith.tk 23:11 15 Aug 05

ok i've managed to get hold of a dos floppy that will read and write ntfs thus allowing to to run chkdsk on the hdd and thats fine it fixed a few things... i then used partion magic to change the cluster size on the hdd to 512b from 1k which should mean the hdd is now bootable... but i can't boot from it... i don't get a 1516 error anymore... then i run chkdsk /f again via dos and if fixed a few more things, i do have 7.2k of unallocated space on the hdd maybe that could be the reason?

where do i go now? as i can't boot from a HDD that is perfectly healthy and seems to be bootable to me...

woodchip 23:17 15 Aug 05

Why not download the XP setup discs. from click here chkdsk should be on the disc. PS there are six discs in all

woodchip 23:19 15 Aug 05

Why not download the XP setup discs. from click here chkdsk should be on the disc. PS there are six discs in all

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…