//some 3rd party need geo

chkdsk keeps popping up

bluenote 22:40 02 Jun 05

a message keeps popping up saying diskeeper has detected chkdsk is sheduled to run and is unable to defrag this partition until it has run.when I reboot chkdsk runs and shows no problems.But I am still unable to defrag ,and the message keeps appearing.I have run avg virus check.no virus.any ideas

DieSse 22:42 02 Jun 05

Well, is chkdsk scheduled to run?

DieSse 22:46 02 Jun 05

Diskeeper FAQs click here

references this problem - go down to the last point in the Efficiency section, and click on it for an answer

gudgulf 22:46 02 Jun 05

This thread might help click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:48 02 Jun 05

Check Disk Prevent Upon Boot (Line 294)
click here

bluenote 23:47 02 Jun 05

what do i do with all these numbers?

bluenote 13:28 03 Jun 05

I have stopped chkdsk running at startup but the pop up warning keeps happening with increasing regularity

DieSse 14:35 03 Jun 05

Did you do what the Diskeeper FAQs said about the problem - seems like a good place to start to me !

bluenote 00:23 04 Jun 05

yes I have tried the sugestion but no luck.also i have lost all the icons on the right side of the taskbar.Any ideas how to get them back.

DieSse 01:09 04 Jun 05

In a Command window you can run

fsutil dirty query C:

to check whether the dirty bit is set. If it is, Diskeeper will not run. It also tells you about the dirty bit.

If you want to disable (even if only temporarily) write caching - which should mean the dirty bit is less likely to be set - Go to Device Manager - right click on the drive in question - go to Properties and click - go to Policies and open the tab - take the tick out of wrtite caching.

See if this helps.

HOWEVER - If the problem is due to the dirty bit getting set frequently, this indicates either a serious disk problem - software corruption of some kind, somewhere - other software interfering with the process (have you loaded anything which could be a culprit?). The Diskeeper FAQ says the only cure in those circumstances is some kind of Windows reƱoad/repair!

smokingbeagle 02:07 04 Jun 05

Start / Run / Type chkdsk /f.
It will offer to run disk on next bootup. Re-boot and let chkdsk run. Problem gone (for me atleast)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…