CHKDSK hanging

Esso43 15:25 03 Jun 07

Ok in the middle of a very messy restore.

When I run the CHKDSK on teh main partition it hangs at the verifying free space point at 0 percent completed.

It has been sitting there for over an hour now and I am not sure whether I should just go with it for longer or reset and try again?

Not sure what the implications are on either route.

I am using xp pro on a sony VGN-S3XP laptop.

Esso43 15:37 03 Jun 07

after approx 1 and half hours we are now at 1 percent completed!!!!

I am still interested in your views but I am going to let it run till teh thing burns out or the electricity goes off :)

sunny staines 15:53 03 Jun 07

i would start again

bof:) 16:08 03 Jun 07

make sure you are running chkdisk in safe mode.

why are you ding a restore?

Mike

bof:) 16:10 03 Jun 07

make sure you are running chkdisk in safe mode.

why are you ding a restore?

Mike

woodchip 16:25 03 Jun 07

if it's moving let it run or you may finsh up having to reload your os

Esso43 11:52 04 Jun 07

Ok I let it run and it did get faster so for an approx 25gb partition it eventually took 5 plus hours.

The good news is that it does appear to have sorted out the problems I was having although I did use ccleaner several times in between efforts to clean everything up and a defrag before the CHKDSK.

BOF:) - the laptop was a sony VGN S3xp which suddenly (no changes to software or hardware) stopped loading Windows XP pro back in the middle of April. The recovery software on teh HDD was corrupt and after convincing Sony that they should send me the disk despite being outside warranty when I did the recovery the machine did not function properly and I engaged in a unistall feast which ended here.

I think Norton and either a corrupt set of files or teh recovery process caused the final problems.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos