CHKDSK frozen - how do I cancel it?

terryblom 13:49 PM 16 Dec 12

Hi, I am helping a neighbour with a laptop problem - it would only boot in safe mode (after flashing a blue screen). I started a chkdsk, which froze after 2 minutes. Rebooted the laptop and now it goes straight into chkdsk, which then freezes. Catch 22. My neighbour is not impressed. Please help ! Thanks, terry.

terryblom 13:50 PM 16 Dec 12

Oh, by the way, the laptop is running Windows XP, sp3.

johndrew 14:48 PM 16 Dec 12

If you can still get into Safe Mode you can stop CHKDSK by using the /c command. See the 3rd. Post here.

A full set of commands available here.

How far through the check did it get? It goes through a number of steps which show up on the screen. Each is a different function and may take some time to complete. If the HDD is faulty it may hang and not function properly.

Chronos the 2nd 14:49 PM 16 Dec 12

1st) your need a BartPE cd really useful tool, this means to create one you will need a full xp install disk, don’t worry their wont be installing of xp today.

2nd) Once you have your Bartpe disk go to http://windowsxp.mvps.org/peboot.htm this page has instructions on how to edit the computers registry while under the bart pe environment, or their is plug-in for bart pe you can use to do this.

3rd) remove the entries that schedule disk check chkdsk from the registry follow the instructions on the Microsoft page. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/158675

It might be necessary if you are sucessful to do a repair install of Windows XP.

woodchip 20:45 PM 16 Dec 12

When you say it freezes it may be trying to reed a bad cluster and re-organize he clusters so it does not write to bad sector. so you should leave it for a while before a reboot

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

OnePlus 2 UK release date, price, specification: OP2 confirmed in VR product launch - full OnePlus…

Why Vodafone’s frequency choice should interest you: The benefits of 800MHz

Motoman robots: from killing The Terminator to samurai swordmanship

Why Apple's being criticised for everything, even the good things