CHKDSK D:

Pamy 15:08 17 Jul 06

Hi, can anyone tell me how to run CHKDSK on my D: drive, ie. what do I have to type into Run ?

Jackcoms 15:10 17 Jul 06

What is your D drive?

CD, DVD, removable media?

Pamy 15:12 17 Jul 06

Hi Jackcoms, It is a second HDD

Jackcoms 15:17 17 Jul 06

Are you using XP?

I so, can't you simply go into My Computer, right click on D Drive and then choose Properties; Tools; Error Checking?

VoG II 15:20 17 Jul 06

ChkdskCreates and displays a status report for a disk based on the file system. Chkdsk also lists and corrects errors on the disk. Used without parameters, chkdsk displays the status of the disk in the current drive.

Syntax
chkdsk [volume:][[Path] FileName] [/f] [/v] [/r] [/x] [/i] [/c] [/l[:size]]

Parameters
volume:
Specifies the drive letter (followed by a colon), mount point, or volume name.
[Path] FileName
Specifies the location and name of a file or set of files that you want chkdsk to check for fragmentation. You can use wildcard characters (that is, * and ?) to specify multiple files.
/f
Fixes errors on the disk. The disk must be locked. If chkdsk cannot lock the drive, a message appears that asks you if you want to check the drive the next time you restart the computer.
/v
Displays the name of each file in every directory as the disk is checked.
/r
Locates bad sectors and recovers readable information. The disk must be locked.
/x
Use with NTFS only. Forces the volume to dismount first, if necessary. All open handles to the drive are invalidated. /x also includes the functionality of /f.
/i
Use with NTFS only. Performs a less vigorous check of index entries, reducing the amount of time needed to run chkdsk.
/c
Use with NTFS only. Skips the checking of cycles within the folder structure, reducing the amount of time needed to run chkdsk.
/l[:size]
Use with NTFS only. Changes the log file size to the size you type. If you omit the size parameter, /l displays the current size.
/?
Displays help at the command prompt.

Pamy 15:22 17 Jul 06

Yes I am using XP. I have Diskeeper running and it has asked for CHKDSK to be run on my D: drive due to inconsistancies on it

Pamy 15:27 17 Jul 06

Thanks Vog, now could you just tell me which one I should type in?

Diskeeper just says it cannot defrag due to inconsistancies and I should run CHKDSK on my D: drive

VoG II 15:31 17 Jul 06

Try

Start, Run, type

cmd

and click OK. At the > prompt type

chkdsk D: /f

and press Enter.

Pamy 15:36 17 Jul 06

Will do,and let you know

Pamy 15:40 17 Jul 06

That did it, alls well again thanks Vog and Jackcoms

David4637 16:50 17 Jul 06

Would you use /f (fix errors) and /r to repair bad sectors, or do you think that /f would cover both options.
Thanks David

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…