CHKDSK

gloops1 12:08 20 Jul 10

Hi guys!

Say, I am having a problem when I run the 'CHKDSK' from dos. It showes errors on the first stage and aborts before getting to the second stage?

I have tested my hard drive with all my 'gizmos' and it shows in 'Excellent' condition????

How can I find out and correct what is wrong plz?

IT

sunnystaines 12:33 20 Jul 10

any reason for not setting it for auto fix and recover from bad sectors via my computer option then restart pc.

gloops1 13:59 20 Jul 10

Hmmm, Didn't know that this could be done mate, however, I have just run this same check via 'My Computer' and the process really has taken some time and corrected some issues. However when run form dos (or CMD) I am still getting some errors...though I can see some improvement here!

I will try the process you mention here buddy, I was not at all aware of it. Many thanks..hope this will solve mi prob.

gloops1 19:00 20 Jul 10

Can't do any 'auto' function on my Windows XP Home' only run the program 'now'.

Just done another check from CMND and there seems some improvement. It doesn't abort midway through, but it still is finding and correcting folders and files????

A friend has sugested thst my hard drive may be getting a bit 'long in the tooth' at 5 years or so???

I don't know the life of a hard drive and as I say all my checks show the drive to be healthy ...no bad sectors or an thing??????

IT

sunnystaines 20:46 20 Jul 10

A good time for a back up of the drive

woodchip 21:02 20 Jul 10

If its Dos it may be having Problems with long file names, it may be flagging these as errors

gloops1 10:21 21 Jul 10

Yes, I am worried now, as I get the 'blue' automatic check every time I boot up????

IT

robin_x 10:26 21 Jul 10

Google Chkdsk there are auto switches.
And it may need a reboot and it takes hours.

Do it tonight.

click here

gloops1 10:41 21 Jul 10

Where are the 'auto' switches then bud??? I can't find any at 'My Computer' ?????

IT

sunnystaines 12:56 21 Jul 10

read here for switches and all you need to know

click here

gloops1 18:24 21 Jul 10

Thanks buddy for this, I have NTFS as I have seen it somwhere. Thanks here tho prob not sorted yet?

IT

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…