Chkdisk problem

terendak_uk 21:20 02 Jan 07

Happy New year...
Apologies if this post turns up twice but the original upload just went into the "ether".
I have a 1yr old PC that runs latest XP, AMD Sempron 1.81GHz ( 3000+)1GHz RAM. Just recently , it started running Chkdisk on my b'up internal IDE HDD everytime I boot. I cannot use a keystroke to cancel it....it just runs, finds no probs and thereafter all is well. Accessing the 2nd HDD is fine....no delays. Any ideas why this occurs? I'm getting to the stage that I think I'll just have to do a complete reinstall. Only change I made to the system is addition of a Lightscribe DVD internal IDE drive. Have to admit that the response time of this, to an inserted CD is slow, compared to the other CDRW I have slaved off it. Not sure if the chkdsk probs are co-incidental to installing the L'scribe drive.
Be grateful for any ideas
Cheers
Carl

mymate 21:24 02 Jan 07

Have a search on this web page ,and you will see a lot of other people are having the same problems with chkdisk .

mymate 21:25 02 Jan 07

here is one click here

Stuartli 21:27 02 Jan 07
  terendak_uk 21:45 02 Jan 07

I ran a search and came up with nothing relevant. Still ....my inadequacy.
Many thanks for links. Had a quick scan : Am I right that I get the impression that it's a problem with the OS?
Sure , I can follow the instructions and stop it doing this ( many thanks for this, by the way)What I would obviously like to know is if there is some problem that you guys know about that escapes me? Why would it suddenly start to do this when it "sees" no problems? Had this prob before...chkdisk fixed them and it went away...
Carl

terendak_uk 21:52 02 Jan 07

your 1st link is to Hostway.....???
NB: have already carried out good housekeeping. Perhaps I have initiated some setting that tells the OS to run Chkdisk on 2nd HDD on boot up? Never happened to me before......
Thanks for repsonses
carl

mymate 22:12 02 Jan 07

terendak_uk.No it takes you to a thread that another guy had with his Chkdisk. I had the same problem as him and sorted mine out by running sfc /scannow and setting my computer clock right.For some reason from 31st Dec to 1st jan it set the clock wrong .

terendak_uk 22:34 02 Jan 07

Mymate. Thanks. I do appreciate your input.
My prob. started before the New Year. I will comply and see if it sorts my problem. Just that, there doesn't seem to be a positive, rational reason for this prob. Is it a bug in the OS?
Carl

Stuartli 00:02 03 Jan 07

Check that DMA is Enabled for the drive from Device Manager>IDE Controllers>Secondary IDE Channel (highlight)>Advanced settings.

Stuartli 00:07 03 Jan 07

You can use resetdma if you prefer from SVP's website:

click here

Stuartli 00:08 03 Jan 07

The website also provides support and downloads for the products that SVP retails:

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…