Chipset fan replacement.

wotbus@ 13:07 13 Dec 08

Mobo ASUS A8N-SLI.
I have just replaced an ailing chipset fan but the retaining clip on the new one interferes slightly with the 3pin mobo Chipset fan power connecter.
Not far away on the mobo is another 3pin power connector marked chas fan (chassis fan).
It would suit me to use this rather than start modifying/trimming the one marked Chipset fan - for a decent fit.
So the question: Are the voltages likely to be different?
Thanks.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:19 13 Dec 08

Fans can have two, three or four wires. Below you have a breakdown of the function of each pin and the most common colour for the wire attached to that pin. There are two important things to notice here. First the colour of the wires may change depending on the fan manufacturer. These are just the most common ones. Second, all fans are fed with+12 V; however several fans use a red wire on their +12 V line, being different from the colour code used by the power supply, where red means +5 V.

Pin 1 ground
pin 2 +12v
pin 3 Fan speed sensor
pin 4 PWM control

wotbus@ 14:27 13 Dec 08

Hi Fruit Bat /\0/\.
There are 3 pins and both old and new fan connectors are colour coded in the same order.
OK?

wotbus@ 15:38 13 Dec 08

It's back together using the "other" mobo connector and everything is OK except during the initial part of boot-up I received a warning message to the effect "the chipset fan speed is too low"!
I don't think this is anything to do with voltage but probably simply different operating speeds of the respective chipset fans. May be something in the setup where I can change this. Even if it is slower I suspect it is more efficient as it has a huge finned copper sink which the original ASUS didn't have.

wotbus@ 16:03 13 Dec 08

Just for info:
By using the non dedicated chipset fan power connection, I have lost the mobo's ability to monitor the fan speed.
Although I see it spinning freely the bios setup records zero and hence the error message.
Depends whether I live with this or try to go back to using the correct connection...maybe....
I never thought to check if anything was listed under Chassis Fan but no matter.
Cheers all.

wotbus@ 11:47 14 Dec 08

Just to finally wrap this up.
In BIOS set-up, I disabled the Chipset fan warning and enabled the Chassis fan warning which will now serve the same purpose.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5