chipset cooling

llbgeezer 21:55 22 Mar 04

hi guys,
This problem started last summer when i first posted to the forums about how the heatwave was affecting our pc's... I had downloaded motherboard monitor and noticed that although there were elements of my system that maintained a cool 22 degrees , my chip was registering mid to high forties in the degree scale and at times had shut down ostensibly so it could cool down. rebooting doing scanreg some time later and i was up and running again, at least for a while... trying to determine through the forums which piece of hardware to blame ( i had eliminated the software range of possible problems) I have been renewing ever more costly pieces of kit including both the psu and the monitor, amongst other things, and now have a new, larger case on order and plans for fans (if you'll pardon the rhyme:) but what i really want to know is whether there are checks i could make (with my multimeter??) to test components of the motherboard for potential causes of this massive heat output or is it common for the chip sensor to report significantly higher temperatures than other sensors on the board.
I havent yet made the leap into total self build but I fear that if the problem doesnt go away I will end up with new mobo followed by new chipset etc and will in effect have built the thing myself (something i look forward to having the time to do :)
any ideas guys n erm gals?
i have a packard bell iconnect 752 mghtz with 400w psu running Me

Sethhaniel 08:20 23 Mar 04

Especially designed for overclockers (or for severe heat conditions), Rain is the latest CPU cooler from Leading Wintech. What makes it different from other CPU coolers (such as Waterfall and CPUIdle) is the fact that it has a different concept: "Extreme Cooling!" With Rain, you'll get the best cooling under Windows 98 nowdays! Rain was especially designed to give you the biggest temperature decrease among all CPU coolers.
click here

Sethhaniel 08:28 23 Mar 04

Software Cooling

CpuIdle
cpuidle56.exe Shareware
Size: 340kb
Ver: 5.9
OS: 95-ME CpuIdle lowers the CPU temperature. This enhances CPU life (a decrease by 10°C doubles the life span) and cuts power consumption. Unlike normal power management CpuIdle is active all the time and works even when you're actively using your computer!
click here

CpuIdle Pro
cpuidlepro59.exe Shareware
Size: 360kb
Ver: 5.9
OS: NT-XP After extensive beta testing CpuIdle available as Pro version from WinNT to WinXP. CpuIdle Pro supports both single and multi-processor systems.
Although Microsoft claims that these systems take care of power management themselves, measurements show that CpuIdle Pro can still achive a considerable decrease of temperature and power consumption

click here

CPUCool
cpucool9.zip Shareware $13.00
Size: 2.5MB
Ver: 7.1.5
OS: all win CPU cooling by inserting a halt instruction in Windows 95/98. Optimization of the CPU registers for Intel, AMD and Cyrix CPU's for Windows 9x. Displays the motherboard temperatures, fans and voltages. It works with all chipset from Intel, ALI, VIA,AMD, and SIS 5595 motherboards.
The ability to change the FrontSideBus. (With this option you can vary the CPU frequency.)
Shutdown Windows by keystroke
A configurable Graphics display.
Cooling under NT
Readout the values programmed in the E2PROM of the SDRAM's.
CPU optimization for Intel and AMD processors.
Memory Optimization.
And more.......

Rain20
Rain20.zip Freeware
Size: 122KB
Ver: 2.0
Date: N/A Especially designed for overclockers (or for severe heat conditions), Rain is the latest CPU cooler from Leading Wintech. What makes it different from other CPU coolers (such as Waterfall and CPUIdle) is the fact that it has a different concept: "Extreme Cooling!" With Rain, you'll get the best cooling under Windows 98 nowdays! Rain was especially designed to give you the biggest temperature decrease among all CPU coolers.
click here

Rain
Rain.exe Freeware
Size: 179KB
Ver.1.0
Date: n/a
Author: Zhu Yi Hong(Tim) Rain is a CPU cooler program. Originally designed as tool for the serious overclocker, this is a cooler program with no frills or extras. It doesn't need them. It issues the HLT command and the processor remains cooler because of it. Plain and simple.
system: Windows 95/98
webpage: yihong.com

Waterfall
waterfall.exe Freeware
Size: 182KB
Ver.1.23
Author: Zhu Yi Hong(Tim) Waterfall is a utility which protects your PC and cools down your processor (by running HLT command when CPU is idle). It was designed for PC users who want a cooler and safer Windows environment, as well as for laptop users who need to save power so that the battery will have a longer life.

Waterfall Pro
waterpro.exe Shareware
Size: 1.2MB
Ver.2.1
Author: Zhu Yi Hong(Tim) Waterfall Pro is a very powerful utility which protects your PC and cools down your processor. It is designed to PC users who want a cooler and safer Windows environment, as well as to laptop users who need to save power so that the battery will have a longer life.

llbgeezer 21:10 26 Mar 04

theres a lot of info there... i have checked it out but knew i had a new case coming so im looking at fans and water coolers too now... anyone for a beer?

Paranoid Android 22:02 26 Mar 04

Just to avoid confusion - your title says Chipset cooling - are we talking northbridge chipset or CPU ?

If you are talking about the Northbridge, you can get chipset coolers from QuietPC click here

If it is the CPU temperature you are talking about, high forties is not excessive and should not be a problem. What is your BIOS shutdown temperature set at ? You can afford to set this at 60-70 degrees without problems.

Marvin

llbgeezer 10:22 27 Mar 04

what i take to be the cpu sensor (sensor 2 on the default mbm5 program) seems to be the problematic one... my error in talking chipset for which i apologise... anyhow, sensor 2 quickly gets to 50 degrees and there is a shutdown at 52... which i may have set in the bios...i am unable to check that at the moment as I am trying to get my motherboard wired into a better case (more cooling and a cool looking led) and loads of sensors...thanks for the link to quiet pc... some truly awesome 'hardcore' gizmo's there... I just can't imagine what I would have to promise the wife for her to let me get spending there!! ;)

Given the usual life of components I am sure that I will have built a totally new system before long at a reasonable expense, and enjoyed a ride on one of the steepest learning curves of my life

Paranoid Android 10:42 27 Mar 04

OK - 50 degrees is a little high but not critical, but it is probably worth your while getting it to run coller. Let us know how you get on with the new case, and don't forget to reset that BIOS shutdown temp.

Marvin

BIG ben strikes 10 10:48 27 Mar 04

get some more bracket fans a 4 fan PSU that should keep your system cool enough?

Paranoid Android 11:20 27 Mar 04

Just noticed no-one has answered your original question (oops). Keep your multimeter out of there, it will tell you nothing useful.

Marvin

llbgeezer 11:50 27 Mar 04

if i knew how to paste the link in to my other discussion you guys might be able to help me there too...

the new case has more room and two fans (1 suck 1 blow) in addition to the fan atop the heatsink but the led screen and the front panel power wiring has me perplexed... I have a Halley mobo and there neither seems to be room for the led power supply (or at least insufficient info in the manual to enable me to wire it correctly) or enough shrouded headers for the extra fans...

I may end up getting a new mobo but I wont be doing that till I upgrade the cpu...she who must be obeyed will not allow this until I show her a working case with lovely led screen powered by my old mobo (groan)

llbgeezer 11:54 27 Mar 04

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…