Checksum error on bootup

cymmer 16:04 22 Jan 04

On booting up my computer just recently Ihave been getting the message"checksum error,defaults loaded,press f1 to continue"which I do,it does not seem to affect anything.
Any ideas on how to get things booting up correctly?
Cymmer.

johnnyrocker 16:06 22 Jan 04

os?

johnny.

Tog 16:15 22 Jan 04

The checksum error is probably referring to your BIOS NVRAM. Try changing the BIOS battery.

©®@$? 16:23 22 Jan 04

it could be the battery that needs replacing or there is a value in the bios that needs changing

either way you will need to reset your bios settings as the battery stores what settings the bios has, i.e if the battery runs low and starts to fail, this error will come up as it cannot tell the bios what settings it had!

if it is not the battery then like i said a setting may need to be changed, the best way to do this, is to boot into the bios and note down the settings you have in there and then load defualt values,or better still reset the cmos jumper which is probably on the motherboard refer to your motherboard manual

Tog 16:25 22 Jan 04

What date is your computer displaying when it boots?

DieSse 16:53 22 Jan 04

It's either the battery, or you have a corrupt CMOS chip, which probably means a new motherboard - so hope it's the battery.

After replacing the battery, rest the BIOS to it's default, and all should be OK from there.

If you're not sure where or what is the battery, ask again, On some older motherboards it may not be very obvious.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…