Checksum error on boot

Ironman556 13:36 05 Nov 04

Hi, my neighbour came to me today and said her PC came up with a battery warning last night, and then wouldn't boot into windows.

I went to have a look and a checksum error came up, saying hit F1 to setup. I did and the clock had reset to 00:00 Jan 2000, I don't know if any other settings had or if it was at defaults anyway. I set the clock back to the right time and the PC booted ok. I shut down and waited a few seconds, then booted up again to see if I'd get the error again, and it loaded windows ok.

Am I right to suspect the motherboard battery? Having never changed one before I have a few questions.

1) Are they standard. i.e. can i just go to maplins and pick one up?

2) Am I right to assume that removing the battery will just reset everything back to defaults, and not cause anything else to need doing?

3) Is this actually the battery or is it possible that somthing occurred to just confuse the bios and reset it?

Thanks.

Ben.

AndySD 14:36 05 Nov 04

It souns like the battery. Most motherboards have a removable battery now but some older ones were soldered onto the motherboard. If you take it out you can replace it simply....boots sometimes stock them. It should cost @£2-£3

You will need to reset the time in the BIOS and then all should be ok.

Gongoozler 14:48 05 Nov 04

Have a look at this page click here. About a third of the way down is a picture of a CMOS battery (and the BIOS reset link). Not all CMOS batteries are necessarily the same, but the majority are. Most use a lithium cell type CR2032 like this one click here.

pj123 17:01 05 Nov 04

Although this sounds like the battery I have never yet had to replace a Motherboard battery.

I have even got a 486 DX/40 running windows for workgroups 3.11. I have never had to change the battery. But as Gongoozler says the most common M/B battery is the CR2032. Can be got from almost any electrical shop. Not a lot to pay to give it a try.

It's Me 17:06 05 Nov 04

Reference - batteries.

Dorsai 17:43 05 Nov 04

if you want a cr2032 battery pop down your local Vauxhall dealer, vauxhall part number 90541382, @ £1.74 inc vat. fits most Vx alarm remotes, so they should have loads.

Ironman556 14:29 06 Nov 04

I'll give it a try.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…