Checksum error and BIOS setup problem

Jem 19:01 22 Jan 11

I bought a second-hand Socket 939 motherboard (DFI Lanparty nf4 ultra-D) on eBay to replace an MSI k8n neo4 m/b that packed up in the hope of re-using my AMD dual core CPU/ccoler and 3GB of DDR memory. The replacement was advertised as in full working condition.

When I started the rebuilt PC for 1st time it detected memory, CPU and drives correctly but stopped at "CMOS Checksum error - default loaded press F1 to proceed or delete to enter setup".

Pressing F1 made the screen go blank and nothing more happened. Re-starting and trying "delete" took me to a blank screen with a flashing cursor but no BIOS setup.

I then searched the web and have tried replacing the battery, clearing the CMOS using the jumper and then replacing it and re-starting, pressing "Insert key" at power on and then "delete" but still cannot get into (or beyond) BIOS set up. The m/b beeps once at power on and the LEDs stop with one burning (which according to manual means it is waiting to boot).

I am thinking the CMOS must be corrupt and I will have to send the m/b back as defective. Does anyone have any better ideas?

northumbria61 19:28 22 Jan 11

Is there anything here for you click here

rickf 20:35 22 Jan 11

Maybe it's the battery. Change it and see. Costs a couple of £s on the mobo

Jem 20:48 22 Jan 11

Thanks for reply. I have replaced battery (no change) and can't follow other advice on the link because can't get into BIOS setup.

Have also cleared/reset the CMOS using the jumper to do this but no change there either.

Jem 20:51 22 Jan 11

Just one other question. Could a faulty CPU be responsible? The Athlon chip is corectly identified during the power up and I don't think it's faulty. But would a faulty CPU that was good enopugh to be detected lead to this type of failure? Or is it just down to the CMOS chip?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now