Checksum bad

I cannot boot my PC into XP it keeps going round in a loop and ends up asking me whether to boot up in safe mode, normally etc.

I do get the message checksum bad when the PC first starts up. I have changed the CMOS battery to no effect.

I have tried booting the PC from a bootable XP disc in my DVD drive but all to no avail.

Any help would be appreciated.

rawprawn 10:43 29 Aug 10

Repair XP by install over the top of existing system

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

Repair Xp
click here

Thank you for the help, but although I have changed the bios boot sequence it still won't load windows even from the CD. I end up at a Dos propmpt page (without a prompt) with C:\pq>image and that's it.

It's all very sad.

OTT_B 11:17 29 Aug 10

Sounds like a hardware failure to me. Probably a RAM chip. Download and run Memtest 86+.

click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:35 29 Aug 10

Mesh PC?
C:\pq>image looks like a Power Quest image for a factory reset

Reset BIOS to default settings
reboot
set BIOS to boot from CD as first boot device
disable hard drive as booting device if necessary.
retry the Repair Install above. (If you have had to disale the HDD to get it to bot from CD you will need to re-enter BIOS and reset HDD as second boot device when windows reboots during the repair)

DieSse 16:00 29 Aug 10

A checksum at startup error normally refers to a corrupt BIOS.

Sometimes this can be caused by a bad battery, sometimes by the BIOS chip making bad contact in it's holder, sometimes by a faulty BIOS chip.

After replacing the battery, you should always do a BIOS settings reset using the jumper on the motherboard.

If you've got a BIOS issue and nothing boots, it may be the BIOS settings are wrong or corrupt.

After resetting the BIOS with the jumper you should go in and check the actual settings and probably choose the rest to default option.

BIOS checksum errors are NOT to do with Windows, as they occur during the POST, before windows has even started to load.

Some BIOS chips are in holders, some soldered in. If yours is in a holder, sometimes pressing it firmly can make it work again - heat can make thew chip creep out of the holder. If it's soldered in then, of course, you can't do that.

If you have a faulty BIOS chip, the normal cure is a new motherboard. If it's just corrupt, then a BIOS update may help.

In any case it would be helpful to know your motherboard make/model.

the motherboard is a A7N8X VM400. I have reset the CMOS and reset the bios to default. I have also made sure that all the fittings are secure

DieSse 16:52 29 Aug 10

There are three manuals for the board depending on the version

click here (Note very slow downloads)

It explains in the manual (of the first one, which is the one I looked at) how to flash the BIOS - there is a mechanism to do that even without loading any OS - it does need a floppy disk with the BIOS file on it though.

Have a look and see what you think.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…