Checking wireless reception - netstumbler?

tammer 22:21 15 Nov 05

Guys, I sometimes try to play games on my laptop upstairs via wireless but keep getting "connection errors" when the play freezes for a few secs. The reception isn't too great, at times, upstairs even though I have a small house. Sometimes I'll get the connection error downstairs too, near the router (a netgear wgr614 v6).

Is there software I can use to monitor signal strength and to show whether there is any interference? I've heard about netstumbler but I wondered if it takes over your wireless connection (and, other than the connection problems, intel pro wireless is decent enough but is blunt instrument in trying to find out if there is interference). Intel pro wireless doesn't show any other networks nearby but windows xp did (before I got intel pro up and running).

I think I could do with some additional software that shows other networks, signal strength, interference etc. Anyone got any recommendations?

Taff™ 07:49 16 Nov 05

Switch back to the Windows interface. Go to Network Connections and right click your wireless connection and select properties. On the wireless networks tab tick the first box that says "Use Windows ...."

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…