checking the speed of USB 2.0

peg leg 21:21 03 Feb 05

Hi,

I have just installed a USB 2.0 PCI card in my windows 98 pc which only had usb1.1 ports.

Is there a way that I could check that the new card was running at usb2 speed as my webcam will not run properly although my digital camera will!

Thanks for any advice.

pegleg

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:27 03 Feb 05

In device manager under USB

look for the word "enhanced" if you THEN YOU ARE RUNNING AT USB2 SPEED

Technotiger 21:29 03 Feb 05

Hi, If you attach any usb2 peripheral to your usb card, if the card is up to speed the peripheral will accept it. If the card is only going at usb1 speed the peripheral will tell you.

Cheers.

peg leg 21:32 03 Feb 05

Thanks guys.

pegleg

Modo 22:21 03 Feb 05

Technotigger

I put a front bay in with two ports. One is off the mobo and is USB1. The other is off a PCI card and is USB2.

I don't get the expected warning. Not a big problem as I have a 50:50 chance of getting it right.

Love to hear an explanation!

JonnyTub 22:26 03 Feb 05

You only get the warning when a usb 2 device is plugged into a usb 1.1 port, not vice versa

Modo 12:58 04 Feb 05

It is a USB 2 device in a 1.1 port.

No warning.

Doesn't really matter but never seen it before.

The Sack 15:10 04 Feb 05

no need to shout

Modo 15:25 04 Feb 05

No it's not it is running at USB 1.1!!!

As I say it doesn't matter it's just quirky that it doesn't give the warning we all are used to.

It just means I have to remember that the top one is 2.0 and the one below it is 1.1!

Modo 18:00 08 Feb 05

Forgot all about this until yesterday.

I put a CF card in the slot adjacent to the strange USB ports.

Message came up that I had inserted a high speed device in a low speed USB port!!!

Well done Maplin we have got a very strangely wired/configured front bay here!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…