Checking Network Adapter is Working

wingfield 12:36 13 Mar 04

How do I check whether the network adapter (build into the Motherboard) is working? I can't my 2 computer (through a router) home network to work. I think the adapter isn't working - even though in the System - Hardware section of Control Panel it says the adapter is working OK. The computer this is on runs XP and I connected this direct to my modem just to check it would work but it didn't. Should I just get a seperate Network Card and fit it or is there something else I can do to get it working?

anon1 13:25 13 Mar 04

you could check that it is enabled in the bios

Mango Grummit 13:35 13 Mar 04

Don't know about XP (I will have to reload that sometime -- I'm getting behind here, I'm uncool I guess) but on ME you would check this under Device Manager.

anon1 15:13 13 Mar 04

The original post stated that he had done that and it shows as working. I have just had a thought though. Did you originally have internet connection sharing or have you only just got the router and going from there? The reason I ask is to check that you have the correct cable to the internet and not a crossover cable. Have you tried a different cable to connect with?

wingfield 15:50 13 Mar 04

The BIOS is Enabled. The cable is correct and was in use before I had the computer upgraded.

anon1 16:07 13 Mar 04

Check for driver updates . If all else fails a new card will only cost around £10. Does your router support usb? That would be another option

wingfield 16:47 13 Mar 04

I updated the drivers yesterday. I've also ran the XP network setup wizard - still no joy. What about 'pinging' from one computer to the other - will it go through the router? I don't know how to do this - only read about it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…