Checking a faulty router?

spuds 11:38 06 Feb 11

I have another thread click here running about correct speed checking.

My ISP is still uncertain as to whether 'jerky' readings are due to a possible faulty router, or line fault.

Is there a method of checking out a router?.

This particular model Siemens Gigaset SE587 WLAN dsl was supplied by the ISP quite some time ago, but they now seem to supply not only this model but others as well (indication as to reliability or stocks?).

If I need to replace (at my own expense), what would you recommend?.

spuds 11:45 06 Feb 11

Apologies, the above link appears to be wrong. Try click here

sunnystaines 12:00 06 Feb 11

can they not send you a spare to eliminate the router, as its a hefty charge if they come to the line and its not the fault

onthelimit 13:06 06 Feb 11

Try asking for a freebie - most ISPs will, if they think you're going to move if they don't!

spuds 13:24 06 Feb 11

Its a case at present of ifs, buts, when's or maybe's.

Mentions of £100.00 for a 'not our fault' turn-out.

Sending new router, then considering the problems that I am having in general, then a new router might not be an option, possibly a new ISP?.

Would mention that I have a few spare routers floating about, but the IT computer engineer that I use, as suggested I carry on with the ISP supplied unit until the problem is resolved?.

woodchip 14:07 06 Feb 11

Don't think a new ISP will solve the problem, not if its hardware or a line fault

robin_x 14:42 06 Feb 11

AOL sent me a new router FOC when I got a new laptop and upgraded my desktop to W7.

Only condition was to commit for 18 months.
They also reduced my monthly charge from £17 pcm
(old AOL Silver Package) to £9.99 and still kept me 'unlimited' where strictly I should have been 10GB.
(fair use etc etc)

While AOL get's a bad press, I have been very happy since the early days of BB. Mind you my exchange has been LLU for a while, so no speed problems.

spuds 15:18 06 Feb 11

I think that you may find AOL have merged within a bigger UK company. Guess who?.

With regards to no speed problems, my local exchange, one mile as the crow flies and two by road, also as LLU, but there are still problems, perhaps contention ratios being one!.

961 15:20 06 Feb 11

If you have spare routers, try one

see my post on your other thread

spuds 15:21 06 Feb 11

That is why we want to try and get the problem resolved. The problem partly originated from the previous ISP before new ownership.

spuds 23:16 09 Feb 11

I had the 'techie' in today, and he replaced the router.

On setting-up the new router he found that the Profile from the exchange (ISP) had been set to low, so I was only getting 2Mb instead of 7Mb.

Another point was mentioned, and that was to keep routers on 24/7 because of line sensoring and synchronization. Apparently switching on/off routers doesn't do much good?.

Will tick this resolved. Thanks everyone for the inputs and help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…