Checking external hard drive 'health'

gardener 17:34 05 Oct 05

I'm not paranoid but....does anyone know of a way to check the 'health' of a USB external hard drive?

I have loads of backups on mine and it suddenly crossed my mind that one day the drive may(will)die.The SMART monitor presumably only works with the internal IDE drive and so I will receive no prior warning of a disaster.

The external drive is a Maxtor and I can find no documentation regarding my fear.Can any other manufacturers help me to sleep at night?

Kev

rawprawn 17:43 05 Oct 05

The only way I can think of is to plug it in then go to Admin Tools/Computer Management/Disc Management, and look for healthy. I am not sure this will answer your question. I don't know if you can run scandisk on an exterior drive. I will google.

rawprawn 17:47 05 Oct 05
  De Marcus™ 17:52 05 Oct 05

What model drive is it? They may be a diagnostic utility from maxtor that can check it for you.

On the other hand I can check my freecom external drive using the same process as the internal one, i.e. right clicking on it, properties, select the tools tab and then disk check.

gardener 17:58 05 Oct 05

Thanks rawprawn and De Marcus.I shall have to start checking on a regular basis.However,it would be more convenient to have some sort of SMART-type monitoring running in the background.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:01 05 Oct 05

Download maxblast4 for windows from the maxtor website

It will detect a maxtor drive even if pluged in via USB and if SMART is enabled it can read the information.

gardener 18:13 05 Oct 05

Fruit Bat/\0/\,thanks for that.I'll get it now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…