Checking disk for errors

douglas1973 12:49 07 Mar 06

Before I perform a full backup with Acronis True Image I clean up my computer and check the hard disk for errors. When I do the latter now my computer will not restart - it just churns for ever - and even using Safe Mode will not restart it - I just get a very large list of drivers with the latter and no matter how long I wait nothing happens. However, fortunately I am able to start by selecting "Last known configurartion".
Any solutions to my problem? Why is it occurring? I run Windows XP Home Edition.

MichelleC 15:49 07 Mar 06

I'm not too clear what's happening. When you select 'check disc for errors', it can't check the disc you're on, it should only do it on next boot up for xp or w2k. (Unless you're 98).

surfmonkey #:@} 18:37 07 Mar 06

have a read here click here;en-us;307654&spid=1173&sid=1211

surfmonkey #:@} 18:38 07 Mar 06

click here;en-us;307654&spid=1173&sid=1211 or this

surfmonkey #:@} 18:40 07 Mar 06

wats hapening here then try going to the microsoft site then support type in the seach box recovery

lotvic 21:42 07 Mar 06

this forum can't handle the ; in the link you have to convert it on this site
click here
so it becomes
click here

De Marcus™ 21:51 07 Mar 06

I can't quite understand why you would perform these checks before an acronis recovery, they superfluous as after the recovery has been implemented they mean nothing?

Checking the disk, for whatever reason has no effect whatsoever on the recovered version that's about to be installed.

douglas1973 00:26 08 Mar 06

I have obviously not described the problem I am having clearly.

1. What I am trying to do is run Chkdsk from My Computer. To do this I double-click My Computer and then right-click the C hard disk drive that I want to check. Then I click Properties and then click the Tools tab. Under Error Checking I click Check Now and in the dialog box that appears I check the "Automatically fix system errors" and "Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors" boxes. Then I click Start. Then I restart Windows as instructed. When Windows restarts is when the problem starts because the normal Chkdsk processing that usually occurs does NOT occur. Instead I am confronted with a black screen and my computer just churn and churns forever. Attempting to restart the computer in Safe Mode does not work - I just get a long list of drivers on the screen. Fortunately, however, I can restart the computer by selecting "Last known configuration".

2. I am NOT trying to recover to a previous state with Acronis True Image - I am wanting to perform a full backup of the CURRENT state of my computer which I normally do every other month but before doing so like to check my C drive for errors otherwise there is the possibilty that an eventual recovery attempt will not work.

3. I have been to the Windows XP Support site and see no instructions on how to run Chkdsk without having the problems I have described.

007al 00:29 08 Mar 06

What make hard drive is it?

douglas1973 14:27 08 Mar 06

I have a Maxtor Diamond 10 200GB 8mb cache 7200RPM SATA hard drive purchased on 30/03/05. Apart from the problem described I have no problems using my computer. It runs fast and never crashes, etc.

lotvic 21:47 08 Mar 06

if so then read this as there is a conflict
CHKDSK and ZoneAlarm 5 : Solution click here

or type 'CHKDSK ZoneAlarm' into Google

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…