Checking BIOS

porridge 10:11 05 Oct 05

Can anyone please tell me how to get into BIOS? I want to check if my A drive is properly set up since it is not working as it should.

I have Windows XP home edition.

Thak you.

Porridge

De Marcus™ 10:15 05 Oct 05

tap delete or f2 as you switch on the pc.

Methedrine 10:16 05 Oct 05

When your PC is doing its POST, check the screen for an instruction such as "Press DEL to enter setup".

A drive not working properly? Is the light on the drive on all the time? If so, unplug and turn over the ribbon cable and plug it back in.

porridge 21:45 05 Oct 05

Thank you both De Marcus and Methedrine.
I have tried clicking on delete at startup and a screen appears for a flash and as far as I could see it said something about BIOS but it vanished so quickly that I was unable to read it never mind use it. Can you say how I can hold it? Should I press delete and keep it down? Frankly I have tried several times but the screen flashes away so quickly that I cannot see what it says. Any ideas?

De Marcus™ 21:47 05 Oct 05

Try both delete buttons (backspace and del) pressing rapidly as soon as you switch on or a long press. Don't forget to substitute f2 for del should it not work.

Skills 21:47 05 Oct 05

If you press the pause button on your keyboard this will pause the boot up process and give you a chance to read on screen messages. You then either hit the pause again to continue or any key I can't remember exactly as I haven't had to in a while.

porridge 21:17 06 Oct 05

Thank you all for your help: de Marcus, Methedrine,Skills. I have finally managed to get the screen to stop so that I could read the messages.

Most grateful,

Porridge.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…