Checkdisk

Poshman 16:45 25 Mar 06

I have just put in a new hard drive and now when I try to use checkdisk all I get is (cannot open volume for direct access, windows is now shutting down)I am using windows xp pro.What have I done wrong and please can any one help me.

Poshman

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:54 25 Mar 06

This problem was first corrected in Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2.

If you have SP2 then click here

Poshman 23:36 27 Mar 06

Thankyou Fruit Bat /\0/I took your advice but still no luck,
What is happening every time I try to run check disk all I get is (cannot open volume for direct access windows is shutting down) I recently put in a new hard drive. I have tried to run check disk from command prompt .all I get is the same message and I have disabled all my start-up programs and still the same message. Does any one know what’s wrong or what’s happening? I will be very happy if anyone can help fix the problem. I’m running Windows XP pro. And my computer is running fine.

Poshman

phono 23:50 27 Mar 06

Some advice on this site, click here scroll down to the "bluish coloured box" entitled, "Windows XP: Problems running the CHKDSK disk-checking utility".

Some useful advice and links there, especially advice in relation to a conflict with ZoneAlarm.

phono 18:12 28 Mar 06

Restart your computer and press f8 while it boots you should get a list of options, choose safe mode with command prompt, once loaded you should get a c: prompt at the prompt type chkdsk /r /f and let that run to completion.

Type exactly as above, the spaces are important.

Poshman 23:27 28 Mar 06

Thank-you phono,
I took your advice on trying to Run my computer in safe mode but after going to select the OS it ran through all the different drives and such then it froze. I did this severall times but it kept on freezing.I shall try again tomorrow.I went to the web pages that you mentioned and found them very interesting again thank-you phono.

terryf 03:47 29 Mar 06

I ended up doing a re-imstall because of similar problems, Windows sometimes gets its knickers in a twist and sets the 'dirty' bit which can only be reset by chkdsk but which also seems to prevent chkdsk running, see M'soft article CHKNTFS.EXE: What You Can Use It For Article ID 160963

terryf 03:48 29 Mar 06

That is click here

phono 04:00 29 Mar 06

If the 'dirty bit' has been set it is usually sufficient to delete the page file to get around the problem, I know this from experience.

Usually the easiest way to do this is to disable virtual memory, do a "shut down restart cycle" and then re-enabling virtual memory.

terryf 09:17 29 Mar 06

Thanks, I will remember that

Poshman 00:21 30 Mar 06

Thanks terryf and phono.
How do you disable virtual memory and where do I find it in the computer.
Poshman

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009