Check Sum Error on Boot running Win98

Giggle n' Bits 00:00 16 Aug 03

Anyone know what is a Checksum error and how to sort or start to try and fix this problem.

My older pc running Win98, you can switch it on, it does it memory test then stop at Checksum error and press F1 to enter setup.

Pressing F1, F2 or Delete will not enter the BIOS.
I cleared the CMOS with no sucess to improve things.

My final thought is its either the M/board Battery needs replacing, faulty M/baord as it is old but it still uses PS/2, or virus.

Can anyone suggest anything please.

DieSse 00:22 16 Aug 03

A checksum error usually refers to the CMOS/BIOS memory. If it's an old system, a faulty battery is a possible culprit, so worth changing that first.

Giggle n' Bits 01:04 16 Aug 03

Will get a Batt from Maplins tommorrow (Erhh later today) and let you know what happens.

Leaving post open till Battery replaced.

toothwright 06:50 16 Aug 03

This happened to me years ago when running Win 95.

It was cured by upgrading (flashing) the BIOS, but I would add - this was only done on the recommendation of the manufacturer - Evesham in this case.

Try a new battery first and only do the above as a last resort - could make matters worse.

Giggle n' Bits 01:06 17 Aug 03

Will have to borrow a neighbours to try, Battery changed and now into windows slow boot up, but intermitant shut down & restarts.

So what can cause Win98Se to restart itself automatically ?.

-pops- 06:37 17 Aug 03

You may need to reset the BIOS after the battery change. There are usually a set of jumpers near the battery that allow you to do this. Check in the motherboard manual.

nogga 10:41 17 Aug 03

Hi noteIT. I had a computer upgraded and started getting checksum bad messages on bootup. I had to keep resetting bios settings, but it got monotonous, so I returned the computer to the shop. Their diagnosis was a faulty motherboard. This was replaced and the problem was cured.

Giggle n' Bits 12:18 17 Aug 03

it was the CR2032 Batt looked abit rough when I took the oldie out.

i reset & config the BIOS no problems.

Thanks to all above Techheads and M8 Sir DieSse !.

NoteIt.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…